Gigantea and Magnifica are much closer related than Gigantea and Haddoni

ThRoewer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Phylogenetic relationships among the clownfish-hosting sea anemones (full article)

This article confirms what I suspected for a while now: gigantea and magnifica are very closely related.
The fact that there are several branches of gigantea and magnifica (and also most of the other host species) might also explain why some split and others not - there may actually a number of sub species or local variants.

Nemguy123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
OP
OP
ThRoewer

ThRoewer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually, based on the above research magnifica anemones belong into the genus Stichodactyla and not Heteractis:
Capture2.PNG

So their correct name would be Stichodactyla magnifica.
At the same time the long tentacle anemone (currently Macrodactyla doreensis) is a member of the genus Heteractis and should therefore be Heteractis doreensis.
Capture3.PNG

Nemguy123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
Very cool stuff I had a feeling there was a closer connection between the 2. A lot of times scientists change classifications of things to make it easier. I also breed rare frogs and I have this species called a Mexican leaf frog it had its own special genus (pacheymedusa dachnicolor) and now it has been just recently grouped into regular leaf frog group so it’s genus is now (Agalychnis dachnicolor ) so it now seems that the frog closer related to red eye tree frogs even tho it’s not. It was only done for simplicity. That’s why I sometimes scrutinize scientific names. I Wonder where this confusion started? Is this a new classification guide or has it always been like this and no one actually properly identified them?

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 39 19.7%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.5%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 147 74.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 4.5%
Back