God is GOOD!! Disaster averted!

HankstankXXL750

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
WOW! I was doing a water change in my Red Sea XL525, when I thought I smelled something hot. Went upstairs to get my wife as my sniffer ain’t all that good. She came down and said she smelled something too. Looked all over. Decided it was nothing and went to open the window to vent, then close up and recheck. I had checked every plug on all my other tanks, nothing hot. I have three tanks tied together to a sump for a QT system by the window. Decided to check the heaters and this is what I found. We leave in the morning for the weekend. I have had nothing but problems with finnex heaters. Could have come home to a burned down house.

65177FB0-3CF1-4F8B-ACDC-385A0EE082D1.jpeg

Joj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank goodness you didn't give up looking for the suspicious smell. Yikes!

mtraylor

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow. Great catch. Get yourself an eheim heater and drop in. They are reliable but no controller but have built in thermostat. Maybe get a controller for tank later. Much safer route and cheaper than buying those every year or so. You can get cheap controller for 200 to 250

OP
OP
HankstankXXL750

HankstankXXL750

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Wow. Great catch. Get yourself an eheim heater and drop in. They are reliable but no controller but have built in thermostat. Maybe get a controller for tank later. Much safer route and cheaper than buying those every year or so. You can get cheap controller for 200 to 250
I have ink bird controllers with Brs titanium probes in 3 of my tanks as I was getting a lot of extra voltage from these. My lfs recommended finnex so I put them on all of my tanks and have already upgraded at least half. Since May of last year.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 47 21.3%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.4%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 161 72.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 4.5%
Back