Going from 8 to 11 alk

Saltine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finally finished my 180 build http://reef2reef.com/threads/saltines-180g-project.280174/

Time to move livestock to the new tank, question is, how best to acclimate them from alk of 8 to 11. Other parameters are almost identical. Simply do a drip acclimate for SPS? What about softies/LPS will they even care? Threw in a small paly frag and GSP in the new tank and they are fine.

Old Tank
8.06 alk
465 -cal
1305 -mag
0 -nitrates
0 -pO4

New Tank
11 alk
495 -cal
1320 -mag
5 -nitrates
0- pO4

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would match my alk or be no more off than 1 dkh higher, and acclimate to that. Then I would raise my alk no more than 1 dkh a day. I usually even do that in increments throughout the day. Large changes in alk is not a good idea.

OP
OP
Saltine

Saltine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would match my alk or be no more off than 1 dkh higher, and acclimate to that. Then I would raise my alk no more than 1 dkh a day. I usually even do that in increments throughout the day. Large changes in alk is not a good idea.

Yea I'd like to do that, but I only dose kalk in my ATO and I'm at the limit of saturation. Guess I'll move everything but SPS and hope my alk climbs.

nervousmonkey

LPS Lover, SPS Enabler
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea I'd like to do that, but I only dose kalk in my ATO and I'm at the limit of saturation. Guess I'll move everything but SPS and hope my alk climbs.
You can add some vinegar to your ATO container, it helps with oversaturating the kalk, but be careful, since it's a carbon source, it's like adding vinegar to your tank. There is a great article on it where the guy gives great detail on how much to add etc. I'll look for it and post it here for you.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 60 39.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 34 22.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 51 33.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.0%
Back