Good cover for rimless tanks

Buddy1234

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is what it looks like in the back. Including cut out for Apex feeder.

CF831078-B539-4728-B71C-D4CCD48F01CB.jpeg

Buddy1234

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is what it looks like in the back. Including cut out for Apex feeder.

Fin

Professional Procrastinator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Artfully Acrylic on a Reef Savvy Euro-Braced... Patience is required, but very happy with what I got.

IMG_3631[1].jpg

IMG_3630[1].jpg

OP
OP
choss

choss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Artfully Acrylic on a Reef Savvy Euro-Braced... Patience is required, but very happy with what I got.

IMG_3631[1].jpg

IMG_3630[1].jpg

When is that tank getting wet????;) Top looks awesome. Also do you have the armored seams on yours?

MadCityReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yah probably but it works. Can’t even see it if your looking down at the tank! Lol though
I don’t have a Lambo by the way! Lol

I was more referring to Choss the person who started this post. He has a Reef Savvy “lambo of fish tanks” like myself and I had the same DIY screen top on my tank which did its job but didn’t look near as nice as the Artfully Acrylic Clear View lid I use now.

OP
OP
choss

choss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never thought about it as a Lambo but maybe that is why my wallet broke:(. I actually advocate getting great equipment but I do shop around a bit before plunking down the hard earned cash. I will say that the look is very important to me (or should I say the “lack of look” as is like the lid to be as invisible when viewing as possible).

Fin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When is that tank getting wet????;) Top looks awesome. Also do you have the armored seams on yours?
Thanks. Wish I knew when it would be done. Just keeps getting knocked further and further down the priority list.

Fin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I completely agree. All of these are outrageous.

I am going to order lexan and DIY one.
As are most things that are individually hand made to order for each different application. Some are made with one or more access doors, cutouts of specific size and location. Lots of time just setting up for the cuts. Materials aren’t cheap and neither is labor, plus there needs to be some profit involved. I would be willing to bet that the profit margin on these is not that great. I think they all charge a fair price for the service and product provided.

Fin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, forgot to answer about the armored seams. I did not get them. There will never be a razor blade or other metal blade touch that glass, so not too worried about damaging the silicone. I found with my 140, if I just took a few seconds each morning and ran the magnet cleaner, I didn’t have to worry about scraping coraline off any longer. :)

Manose

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As are most things that are individually hand made to order for each different application. Some are made with one or more access doors, cutouts of specific size and location. Lots of time just setting up for the cuts. Materials aren’t cheap and neither is labor, plus there needs to be some profit involved. I would be willing to bet that the profit margin on these is not that great. I think they all charge a fair price for the service and product provided.
Maybe with all the money they are making from these very expensive tops, they could invest into some R and D as to figure out how to bring the cost down. I would love to have one of these tops , but not at more than I paid for my tank.

Buddy1234

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe with all the money they are making from these very expensive tops, they could invest into some R and D as to figure out how to bring the cost down. I would love to have one of these tops , but not at more than I paid for my tank.
As @Fin stated the tops are basically custom and there is a lot of set up time to make it fit with cut outs for lights, cords and auto feeders. This is not mass production as is the case with making tanks. For me, it is the finishing touch for a clean tank look and worth every penny I paid.

OP
OP
choss

choss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As @Fin stated the tops are basically custom and there is a lot of set up time to make it fit with cut outs for lights, cords and auto feeders. This is not mass production as is the case with making tanks. For me, it is the finishing touch for a clean tank look and worth every penny I paid.

I agree- finishing touch is important. We invest a lot in our corals, equipment etc. For me the look of the final product is very important to my enjoyment of the livestock in the tank. That is why I invested in MP40s for example - even though there are lower cost options out there. My lighting was equally important - not just the quality of the light but the design and quality of the fixtures etc. So I will bite the bullet on the top even though I prefer open tank. But I also like my fish to stay in the tank ;)

dvybiral

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey MadCityReefer, I am interested in the light hanging fixture you have for your ATI light. did you fabricated that light hanging fixture? or buy it from a company. I am in process of plumbing my new Reef Savvy 120g tank and looking into a hanging fixture. Beautiful tank and setup, do you have a build thread I can follow and ask question and ideas back and forth.

Thank you

CalebWBrink2000

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had my lid custom made by TopLids. It took awhile and was pricey, but the resulting product was nice; my tank looks silly without it now.

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 73 42.9%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 60 35.3%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 25 14.7%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 10 5.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.2%
Back