Good filter?

dancer503

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi!

New to saltwater and have done a ton of research.. I need help on filtration. I cannot afford a sump currently.. and wanna start small with a 20 gal long. Wanting some clowns, acans, zoas and a nem. After my tank has cycled.

Would the sea chem 55 be a good choice until I’m ready to upgrade? I’m also looking at the aquatop 300gph w/uv light…

Thank you!

JC1977

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi!

New to saltwater and have done a ton of research.. I need help on filtration. I cannot afford a sump currently.. and wanna start small with a 20 gal long. Wanting some clowns, acans, zoas and a nem. After my tank has cycled.

Would the sea chem 55 be a good choice until I’m ready to upgrade? I’m also looking at the aquatop 300gph w/uv light…

Thank you!
Any decent power filter will do fine for a smaller tank like that. I personally like the Aquaclear filters because you can use whatever filter media you want and they run forever.

OP
OP
dancer503

dancer503

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any decent power filter will do fine for a smaller tank like that. I personally like the Aquaclear filters because you can use whatever filter media you want and they run forever.
Thank you for your reply!

Are those the clear fluval ones? I looked at those as well but wasn’t sure if I should get one with a skimmer built in!

I’ll gander those a bit more now that I know they last!

Thank you!

JC1977

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for your reply!

Are those the clear fluval ones? I looked at those as well but wasn’t sure if I should get one with a skimmer built in!

I’ll gander those a bit more now that I know they last!

Thank you!
Yes Fluval. They sell them at most big brand pet stores. You really don’t need a skimmer on a small tank like that. Rinsing out the sponge frequently and doing partial water changes should be fine.

fishywishy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve used marine land HOB filters by themselves with no skimmers or anything forever. they’re cheap, quiet and effective.

Naekuh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I assume your talking about Tidal 55?

Yes i have one, its probably the best HoB for reef systems if you go that route.
The bucket area is big, the pump is located outside the basket, so you have all that area for whatever you need.
Maintance is EZ, as the entire bucket try comes out.

You can make a refugium out of it if you put a light on top.
You can make a chiller out of it, using a Nova-Tec IceProbe TEC chiller probe.... (will require modifications, and is only good for small tanks.)

If i was in need of a HoB, Seachem Tidals would definitely be my first choice.

legionofdoon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tidal is better than the aquaclear. I've used both on FW and now only use the tidals. The tidals self prime in case of power loss.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 28 15.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 105 58.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.6%
Back