Good starter sps

tompdesc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With the FFM coming up and our new tank up an running I'm looking in to getting in to some SPS. I was wondering what you all would suggest for some good starter SPS?

We have a 30g tank with reef breeder photon 24, an eshopps psk75h hang on skimmer, and a cpr aquafuge. The skimmers rated for 75g and the fuge has cheato in it. Water parameters are good stable.

One other question i have is about testing mag. We don't test it yet if I get into sps should I start testing mag first?

OP
OP
tompdesc

tompdesc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh and for flow there is two hydor 600 Hooked up to a smartwave

ahvrivera

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should definately tets MAG. Magnesium is what helps the chemistry of the water balance out. Generally between 1320 and 1350. This usually balences out on its own with water changes in a smaller system. That is until you get the bug and start packing it with sps. Then you will have to supliment with kalk or 2 part dosing.

As far as starter sps. IMO digis are a good starter. They grow fairly fast and are a good water chemisrty indicators. And come in a wide color selection.

jservedio

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Montipora Capricornus. Easiest SPS there is and is far hardier than even most LPS and softies. It is by far the toughest coral in my tank and even made it through a mini-cylce (when most of my LPS didn't) back when I was new and starting out. Nothing will stop them from growing.

Also - they are dirt cheap. People sell huge colonies (talking bowling ball sized) for like $50 - $75 and basically give away frags of it.

Montipora Digitata is also really easy, but IMO caps are more hardy.

If you have any coral of any kind living in your tank - you can keep a monti cap alive. It was the 3rd coral in my tank and I still have it and is getting really big.

Eienna

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Montis are good, I agree.
For some reason, though, some people can grow seriatopora hystrix (bird's nest) like crazy but can't get montis to do well at all, from what i hear at least. If one doesn't work for you, try the other.

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 139 43.0%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 113 35.0%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 50 15.5%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 16 5.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.5%
Back