Gorgonian question

NanoNana

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve searched forums and seen some similar issues in old threads but wanted to confirm some things and get some opinions.

Display Tank is a 24 gallon AIO 17.5 inches cubed. Noopsyche K7 mini lights.

I purchased a purple whip gorgonian (these are photosynthetic). I live in a very rural area and shipping is sometimes a nightmare. The shipping took 3 days. The water was black and smelled horrible. It was brown and had black tips on every arm. I set it up in a qt with good light and high flow and a few polyps came out immediately. I thought okay, I have something to work with. It shed like mad for a week. It still has a few dark patches partially attached that lift and blow around. Feed phytoplankton or reef energy and it looks like a bush the polyp extension is so good. It’s picky picky about flow. If flow is just right it’s open all night. Off a little and it sleeps til lights on or feeding time. It seems to want feeding at least daily. I suspect it’s using a lot of energy healing. The DT has a super low bioload with only one fish. (Royal gramma basslet) and a few softies.

So, questions: Can we feed reef energy to the display tank and direct feed phytoplankton to the gorgonian without causing issues? (weekly 25% water changes).
Next question, (I’ve seen two different answers) any hope of it regaining color as it heals?
Next question. It’s a moral question. I bought it to be purple. I can’t leave it in the QT because treating fish will kill it. I don’t have room in the DT for another gorgonian. I mean, it’s alive. Would you guys learn to embrace brown and it’s fighting spirit or replace it with a healthy coral?

randomfishdude

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't have expirence woth reef energy but I do phyto. You should be fine of you spot feed it.
It will be less hungry once it heals.
I don't sew why it wouldn't regain its color. Mine did.

OP
OP
NanoNana

NanoNana

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't have expirence woth reef energy but I do phyto. You should be fine of you spot feed it.
It will be less hungry once it heals.
I don't sew why it wouldn't regain its color. Mine did.
This is awesome news. It loves its phytoplankton and communicates that fact very well. It’s much larger than I expected at about 12 inches high so will be front and center in the DT. My family just thinks it looks sickly due to color. I am of the opinion that it has shown incredible resilience and is beautiful in its own right. It’s time for it to move to the DT. Hopefully I can dial it’s preferred flow in and complete the move with minimal stress.
This baby is so interactive with feedings and flow changes and movement around it. I like all of my coral but I have bonded with a brown wavy stick. lol

randomfishdude

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is awesome news. It loves its phytoplankton and communicates that fact very well. It’s much larger than I expected at about 12 inches high so will be front and center in the DT. My family just thinks it looks sickly due to color. I am of the opinion that it has shown incredible resilience and is beautiful in its own right. It’s time for it to move to the DT. Hopefully I can dial it’s preferred flow in and complete the move with minimal stress.
This baby is so interactive with feedings and flow changes and movement around it. I like all of my coral but I have bonded with a brown wavy stick. lol
I would recommend acclamation. Just 30 min or so would be fine. It could help take off some of the the stress.
Although I'm shure your qt and display are same perams?

OP
OP
NanoNana

NanoNana

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would recommend acclamation. Just 30 min or so would be fine. It could help take off some of the the stress.
Although I'm shure your qt and display are same perams?
They are identical except for scape and flow. I’ll start experimenting for short periods to find the happy flow spot. Thanks!

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 48 20.5%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 1.7%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 170 72.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 5.1%
Back