Gorilla Crab

scubadiva

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an ugly, hairy gorilla crab in my tank. I guess he came in on liverock at some point in time. However he got in my tank, he has gotta go!! He never comes out in the open. I see him lurking in the liverock. I put a yellow spotted watchman goby in the tank on Saturday and by Monday he was dead. I put a large tiger pistol in at the same time and have not seen or heard from him since I put him and see no evidence of him pushing around sand like they usually do. He obviously is killing my snails and hermits as I find more and more empty shells. I also suspect he killed my carribean pistol shrimp I had for over 5 years.I made a trap using a plastic coke bottle and bating it with shrimp, but only got hermits. I put a bunch of rubble in the bottom of a glass and put a shrimp under it and leaned it up against his hidey hole and once again, I only get hermits in there eating the shrimp. I had one in a previous tank and was able to sneak up on that one and catch him in a net and put him in my sump. However, I have never caught this one out in the open.Short of pulling all my live rock out, which I really do not want to do, do any of you have suggestions about how to catch this monster?

KJ

Lone Wolf
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there anyway that you can remove the rock where the gorilla crab Is hiding and put It In a fresh water container?

KJ

Lone Wolf
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have one time Teedy Bear crab I have to pull most of my LR out to get him.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 171 73.1%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 17 7.3%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 41 17.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.1%
Back