Got a hitchhiker or unknown critter?? Check here for an ID

Status
Not open for further replies.

themadman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok needing help on a snail ID. Unfortunately I don't have a picture. This snail is a white or cream color snail with a very glassy looking white or creamish shell. The shell is oval shaped and smooth on top with some darker spots it looks like. There are no points or anything on the shell its oval and totally smooth and as said very glassy looking. I actually got it at a very legit somewhat local LFS by mistake. It was in a bag of crabs etc they accidentally gave me and like a dumb rookie I didn't know there could be bad snails at the time and put it in my tank. Well last night I was using a red flashlight to check out my tank. I saw my cleaner shrimp digging in the sand and I had never seen that before. The shrimp pulled a snail shell out of the sand. I couldn't see whether this was a live snail or just a shell. But it honestly looked almost like the shrimp was saving the thing. Anyways right after it pulled that shell out this white snail followed out of the sand. So I'm assuming that snail had pulled that shell under with it. Then the white snail proceeded to move away and immediately dive down into the sand and out of sight. I had only seen it on the rocks one other time since adding it. I googled and googled and couldn't find a picture of anything close to what it looks like. Any ideas?

GHsaltie

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok needing help on a snail ID. Unfortunately I don't have a picture. This snail is a white or cream color snail with a very glassy looking white or creamish shell. The shell is oval shaped and smooth on top with some darker spots it looks like. There are no points or anything on the shell its oval and totally smooth and as said very glassy looking. I actually got it at a very legit somewhat local LFS by mistake. It was in a bag of crabs etc they accidentally gave me and like a dumb rookie I didn't know there could be bad snails at the time and put it in my tank. Well last night I was using a red flashlight to check out my tank. I saw my cleaner shrimp digging in the sand and I had never seen that before. The shrimp pulled a snail shell out of the sand. I couldn't see whether this was a live snail or just a shell. But it honestly looked almost like the shrimp was saving the thing. Anyways right after it pulled that shell out this white snail followed out of the sand. So I'm assuming that snail had pulled that shell under with it. Then the white snail proceeded to move away and immediately dive down into the sand and out of sight. I had only seen it on the rocks one other time since adding it. I googled and googled and couldn't find a picture of anything close to what it looks like. Any ideas?
Have you seen this snail? http://www.lionfishlair.com/hitchhiker/marginella.shtml
I don't know if they bury under the sand like you said yours did but your description sounds a lot like this one.

themadman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Cameron Martinez

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I got through about 15 pages and decided to post a picture for help on this one. Found a few of these in our tank last night. And yes I will be the guys that is asking for ID with a pic that isn't the best but any help is apreciated as have lost 2 corals in the last 2 months and not sure why. Thanks for any help. The guy is just next to the Duncan pink in color
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Cameron Martinez

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Think I saw something like this for sale on reef cleaners but it was brown and looked fuzzy on the bottom. They removed it from their site so I can not go back to reference the name.

But thanks for any help let me know if I need to camp out and start picking them out as I see them or if they are good and I can leave them alone.

Cameron Martinez

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you sir.
Did a quick search and that is what I saw on Reef Cleaners.
Just never seen them pink. May be where all the coralline grow is going.
Seems like they are reef safe though.
Back to figuring out what is going on with the coral.

RobertN

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All--
I found one of these on my glass a couple of weeks ago and got rid of it. Then today, I found another one and took video and photos of it. It looks a lot like the slugs I find in my garden....and it's slimy/mucilaginous like those slugs as well. Anyone know what it is and whether it is undesirable or not? Thanks in advance for the help! Robert

Unknown hitchiker photo.JPG

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a Nudibranch, does not really look like a zoanthids eating type. Introduce any new macro algae or corals a couple weeks ago?

Naiad

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe these are a sand dwelling nem like tubes. I had one eat a bumble bee snail once. They are very good hunters and spread like glass nems

Roboson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They look tiny, they couldn't catch anything larger than a bumble bee snail. That said, they look kinda glassy. Now with that said, I still think they're cool.

Lionfish Lair

Renee
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All--
I found one of these on my glass a couple of weeks ago and got rid of it. Then today, I found another one and took video and photos of it. It looks a lot like the slugs I find in my garden....and it's slimy/mucilaginous like those slugs as well. Anyone know what it is and whether it is undesirable or not? Thanks in advance for the help! Robert

Unknown hitchiker photo.JPG

That looks like an Elysia.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 24 24.5%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 2.0%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 69 70.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.1%
Back