Got a minute? Please I need help...

Delatedlotus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please help me... I am pulling out my hair. Red Sea Algae Pro test kit with a 12/2023 end date. Tested nitrates in Low Range maxed out on color wheel (FULL COLOR). Just tested in High Range and it's reads 0.85. I have tested three times same on each test, changed waters R/O and tank water.. I get this reading, High End card reads <4.00... but way beyond maxed out on Low End Test! It's like there is no in-between Low and High tests.... Ok... 0.85 reading on High End Test. Does that mean I have close to zero nitrates..? I am totally lost and I am no dummy...but some of the simplest things are so stinkin hard sometimes.. I am really lost and need some real advice.... I have a 27 year reef set-up here. Phosphate Red Sea test reads 0.10..! Help needed here...

blecki

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay - I'm not really following you and don't get the problem, but, there's an easy way to fiddle with test kits if you're getting results outside their testable range. If you're testing 'maxed out' - dilute your sample. 1/2 fresh RODI 1/2 fresh tank water. Should cut the reading in half, and might put it back in the range. For the other way, you can't concentrate the sample - but you can double the reagent, which won't give an accurate reading but CAN get SOME KIND OF READING when you were otherwise reading 0.

Jjmg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never used RedSea test kits, but if results don't make sense I try to confirm them with another kit, either have a local shop retest or get another brand of kit. Also I might suspect the reagents that close to expiration

OP
OP
Delatedlotus

Delatedlotus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay - I'm not really following you and don't get the problem, but, there's an easy way to fiddle with test kits if you're getting results outside their testable range. If you're testing 'maxed out' - dilute your sample. 1/2 fresh RODI 1/2 fresh tank water. Should cut the reading in half, and might put it back in the range. For the other way, you can't concentrate the sample - but you can double the reagent, which won't give an accurate reading but CAN get SOME KIND OF READING when you were otherwise reading 0.
Red Sea test kit High Range say's: mix 1ml tank water to 15ml R/O water to get high-end reading right off the color card.. I have done this 3 times! It always reads <4.00 which is like white color on the card...

OP
OP
Delatedlotus

Delatedlotus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never used RedSea test kits, but if results don't make sense I try to confirm them with another kit, either have a local shop retest or get another brand of kit. Also I might suspect the reagents that close to expiration
I am in Montana no Reefing around here..

OP
OP
Delatedlotus

Delatedlotus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess my question is, why are you stressing. If you are not reading on the high end but maxing out on the low end it means you are in the good.... leave it be.
Cyano out break ... I need to find the cause...

00W

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Post is a little choppy/heater skellter but yes,looks like close to 0.
The color tests are very difficult to read when near 0,thus why I don't use them anymore.
Chill, maybe test again with a different test kit,wait and order a hanna.
No more water changes if worried about 0 nitrate.
No tank info was listed so hard to determine exactly what the main crisis is.
Corals unhappy? Just don't know where to go with help.

Mr. Roboto

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cyano out break ... I need to find the cause...
I don't think 5-10 nitrate levels are your issue then. Flow, lighting, RODI filters, clean filtration system and good skimming are all things I would check.

Lots of us run 20 ppm in SPS tanks with no cyano problems. That's usually a flow issue in my experience.

OP
OP
Delatedlotus

Delatedlotus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Post is a little choppy/heater skellter but yes,looks like close to 0.
The color tests are very difficult to read when near 0,thus why I don't use them anymore.
Chill, maybe test again with a different test kit,wait and order a hanna.
No more water changes if worried about 0 nitrate.
No tank info was listed so hard to determine exactly what the main crisis is.
Corals unhappy? Just don't know where to go with help.
Nope corals all look pretty good really... Cheato is growing fantastic as well. My elbows are starting to chaff though.. (salt).. lol

OP
OP
Delatedlotus

Delatedlotus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think 5-10 nitrate levels are your issue then. Flow, lighting, RODI filters, clean filtration system and good skimming are all things I would check.

Lots of us run 20 ppm in SPS tanks with no cyano problems. That's usually a flow issue in my experience.
It could be just that 250lbs of live rock and on one end there is like a slight dead spot...

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does this mean I am carbon limited..?

Carbon limited for what? Hopefully you did not read nutso comments that Brightwell spouts on that topic.

All reef tanks are and should be organic carbon limited for bacterial growth.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why yes I did, and have wrong answers..?

Without question, this statement by Brightwell makes no sense and no one should pay it any attention (IMO):

"Note: If at any time, dosing with NEONITRO results in a prolonged increase of nitrate concentration without gradual decrease as phosphate is taken up, system is likely carbon-limited (remedied by the application of REEF BIOFUEL or KATALYST to the system)."

ALL reef tanks are carbon limited in the sense they are talking about (adding organic carbon will increase bacterial growth and uptake of N) unless there is a serious problem with something else being much too low (phospahte, or perhaps a trace metal). The ocean is organic carbon limited. Reef tanks are organic carbon limited. If something else is limiting bacteria then that something else is almost certainly limiting photosynthetic corals and should be addressed by replacing that missing thing. I've yet to see evidence of any reef tank where adding an easily metabolized organic does not get metabolized by bacteria and other organisms.

A far better thing to say in that context would have been:

"Note: If at any time, dosing with NEONITRO results in a prolonged increase of nitrate concentration without gradual decrease as phosphate is taken up, STOP adding the neonitro, and look for other ways to reduce phosphate, if needed.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 32 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 12.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 115 58.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.1%
Back