Got a PICO reef? Show it off here!

mkutsch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thing is, flow is really hard to mediate and control in stuff like the Spec V--cause it's so darn thin. So, the best way to combat a lack of flow that stuff like SPS need in such a confined space (which I do not recommend as is, water conditions-wise) is a type of hose that I thought of after walking by a gardening hose. So, I took a piece of tubing, cut slanted holes in integers of half an inch for six inches, connected to an elbow that snaked it 90 degrees to another 3 inches of closed tubing, to a mini Rio return pump I shoved under a piece of rock. Sorry about the bad syntax, but just something to think about.
Oops, I also scrapped it after I lost over two hundred dollars worth of a helfrich and a BTA. Sad times.

DracoKat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am rallying for a PICO Subforum!!

Presenting my 2.7 gal pico cube, happily set up in my cubicle here at work!

I got a bunch of freebie "pest" corals from my reef club (Thank you, Andy, if you are here!). I put them in this morning.
Some pulsing xenias, blue cloves, green polyps, teal green and red mushrooms and lots more GSP (I threw these in my sump of my main tank as there's already some in my pico). They're all on good sized rock chunks, none were plugged!

I had to remove some rock, not too much as I like the rocks as it is now! Some rocks has yellow sponges on it for an added bit of colors too.

This pic was taken about an hour after putting the pieces in the tank. They still need to open up. I am already mesmerized by the pulsing of the xenias.

jjRgL9t.jpg

DracoKat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh also, has anyone ever seen a neon green kenya tree? Every person I've ever asked vehemently swore that it's either some other leather coral, or I was just clueless. It's neither, cause I have some in my tank...just curious.

I got one recently. I will try to remember to post it later!

haynesn12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A pico subforum would begreat great as I am working on anew 4.3gal cube right now

Maddlesrain

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also have a little 2.8 gallon pico in the works. Loving all these little tanks!!

marissas47

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Currently running a Fluval spec V and also the spec III. The 3 just has rock in it currently but I'm planning on doing a zoa tank with that one and adding some euphyllia with the mushrooms in the 5 gallon, along with my circus goby

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Pico tanks,
Bozeman:
IMG_0078.JPG

And healdsburg

IMG_0077.JPG

healdsburg is 1 year old, bozeman in 8 months old. Healdburg started a QT for my 29G biocube, then to control both I built a raspberry pi controller. To test it I then built bozeman. These images are couple of months old, rockscape is changed a bit since then. Here are some close ups
healdsburg with intense coralline growth in the background. Notice the anemone shrimp resting on the balsto

IMG_1054.JPG

healdsburg is mostly zoa/paly., with grandis and blasto taking the center place
IMG_0860.JPG

Bozeman was my attempt to do better rockscaping
IMG_0865.JPG

I had also tried sps in it (bad idea, migrated them to BC29 after loosing one). Leptoseris and monti cap thrived though,
IMG_0867.JPG

All of them (including BC29) is controlled by reef-pi controller (one of them is mounted on the back wall, with touch display for easy control)
IMG_1050.JPG

And our God, Jimi Hendrix, blessed them always. These tanks are under his protection,

Finhead

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So what are all you guys using for flow and heat on a Pico? I have a 21 Gal RS Reefer Nano, been debaiting about setting up a pico for awhile now. Like to go with a 3gal cube (10" square) Heater is more my concern than anything.

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So what are all you guys using for flow and heat on a Pico? I have a 21 Gal RS Reefer Nano, been debaiting about setting up a pico for awhile now. Like to go with a 3gal cube (10" square) Heater is more my concern than anything.
For nano (29 G) I use mp10 and picos (3 & 2.6G) no additional power head other than return (Rio90).

Finhead

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For nano (29 G) I use mp10 and picos (3 & 2.6G) no additional power head other than return (Rio90).

Yeah my Reefer nano has been running for about 15 months now, it was my restart in the hobby after 12 years away.

I was more curious on the heater people use in the Picos.

LetItReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
[QUOTE

I was more curious on the heater people use in the Picos.[/QUOTE]

Used to have 2.5g and ran 25W Heater- Eheim, Hydor, Tetra.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Very nice!

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah my Reefer nano has been running for about 15 months now, it was my restart in the hobby after 12 years away.

I was more curious on the heater people use in the Picos.
Hydor. Currently only runs at night, controlled by reef-pi . I am planning to hook up the temperature sensor to it and make it full blown temperature controller. Temeperature and salinity (due to evaporation) are the two main concern I have. Since both my picos run lps/softies and I do almost 100% WC weekly, I do not have too many concerns around the water chemistry. A80 is working fairly well on the lighting front.

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does 10g count as pico?
Probably not. Theres no fixed specifications for these (like LPS/SPS) other than communal/tribal/esoteric knowledge, but 5G or less is generally considered as pico in the forums from where I have learned most things.

trevormass7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably not. Theres no fixed specifications for these (like LPS/SPS) other than communal/tribal/esoteric knowledge, but 5G or less is generally considered as pico in the forums from where I have learned most things.
Mmmk just wondering

Finhead

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hydor. Currently only runs at night, controlled by reef-pi . I am planning to hook up the temperature sensor to it and make it full blown temperature controller. Temeperature and salinity (due to evaporation) are the two main concern I have. Since both my picos run lps/softies and I do almost 100% WC weekly, I do not have too many concerns around the water chemistry. A80 is working fairly well on the lighting front.

I have a Apex Gold on my Reefer Nano, I think I can use it to run a secondary heater in a separate tank (pico)

NanoCrazed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fluval 100W for Heater & Hydor Aqamai for my 14G, Hydor Nano 240 and Marineland mini 50W for the 5G

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.1%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 91 80.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.4%

Back