OP
Scurvy

Scurvy

Pirate Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got to .19 on the tester. Added 2 more drops to pop over the .2 mark. Added a little LRS which they gobbled up. Wrapping it up there for tonight in this tank. Will dose a bit more in the morning and then again after work.

In the other tank everyones doing well enough save for the Pin Tail. The fact that he’s not dead yet gives me hope that he may come around. Still laying in his side though. The others were done within a half hour of their dips. His was before theirs and its obviously been hours.

Debated moving him in with the Mandarin but don't want to keep stressing him out. Maybe tomorrow if he’s still hanging on with no improvement.

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Debated moving him in with the Mandarin but don't want to keep stressing him out. Maybe tomorrow if he’s still hanging on with no improvement.

I think this is a good plan. I’d definitely leave him for now. Hopefully he looks a little better tomorrow, fingers crossed.

Nice work today... I know that was a lot to take on and not painless, but you are doing great!

OP
OP
Scurvy

Scurvy

Pirate Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Scurvy how is the pin tail?
Same. He's hanging in but still just huddled against the pump laying on his side. If i touch him with an acrylic rod he pops up right for 30 seconds or so. He's fighting but Id say its coin flip still.

OP
OP
Scurvy

Scurvy

Pirate Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So sorry, Corey. I cannot imagine what you are going through. It is inspiring to see all of the help and support in this thread. @ngoodermuth especially deserves a big hug.
I couldn't agree more! As my boss likes to say @ngoodermuth is my favorite today :)

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m happy to help, but I guess I’m my own worst critic... I’m still trying to figure out what went wrong with those wrasses.

I did find an article by Bob Fenner... he mentions dosing the MB directly into the freshwater dip, rather than doing each separately, but I am still trying to figure out what the actual dosage would be that way.

He also mentions specifically, that if the fish tries jumping out... the dip is over. I’ll post that part... it sounded exactly like what you were describing.

“3) Watch Your Stock! What's that, number XII? No, I'm serious, unless you've done this a bunch or are using the suggested mellow Methylene blue, stay right there during the process. Your new acquisitions might just hop out onto the floor, you never know. Actually, the only reasonable way to gauge how much may be too much time to spend in the dip is to examine the dipped's behavior. If it becomes erratic (should I offer a definition? Nah!) with thrashing about, inversion, wild attempts at missile-impersonation, time's up.” - Bob Fenner

I’ve never had a fish react that way to a dip/bath, but I’ve used acriflavine waaaay more often than MB (can probably count my MB usage on one hand...)

Whatever else I dig up, I’ll report back. For future reference, and for the sake of anyone else who stumbles across this thread :(

OP
OP
Scurvy

Scurvy

Pirate Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m happy to help, but I guess I’m my own worst critic... I’m still trying to figure out what went wrong with those wrasses.

I did find an article by Bob Fenner... he mentions dosing the MB directly into the freshwater dip, rather than doing each separately, but I am still trying to figure out what the actual dosage would be that way.

He also mentions specifically, that if the fish tries jumping out... the dip is over. I’ll post that part... it sounded exactly like what you were describing.

“3) Watch Your Stock! What's that, number XII? No, I'm serious, unless you've done this a bunch or are using the suggested mellow Methylene blue, stay right there during the process. Your new acquisitions might just hop out onto the floor, you never know. Actually, the only reasonable way to gauge how much may be too much time to spend in the dip is to examine the dipped's behavior. If it becomes erratic (should I offer a definition? Nah!) with thrashing about, inversion, wild attempts at missile-impersonation, time's up.” - Bob Fenner

I’ve never had a fish react that way to a dip/bath, but I’ve used acriflavine waaaay more often than MB (can probably count my MB usage on one hand...)

Whatever else I dig up, I’ll report back. For future reference, and for the sake of anyone else who stumbles across this thread :(
You’re working overtime to say the least! I know of a few people following along now that will find it valuable so very much appreciated.

My thoughts as it was happening were that after the FW dip they were oxygen deprived, wanting air. They weren't jumping, jumping but more bobbing/lunging at the top for the first minute or so in the MB. After that minute they went to the bottom like the others had making me think they realized they could get air in the MB bath and settled down.

Once they came back to the top bobbing/lunging again is when I wound up pulling them out.

If they were the first couple of fish dipped i would have pulled them much sooner, possibly immediately but because they followed others that handled it fine I assumed they would too and was more complacent about it. Complacent probably isnt the right word but you get my meaning.

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
@ngoodermuth I am sorry for this whole situation. You are terrific! I suck at illness in fish. I have been worried today about Scurvy's little guys. I am of little to no help in this area, but this is one of the best threads on dealing with this. You have had his back through the whole thing!

OP
OP
Scurvy

Scurvy

Pirate Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im fading fast so last update for the night.
Alls well with the fish in copper.

Almost forgot sand for the Radiant but got him squared away in the other tank. No change with the Pin Tail which at this point Im taking as a good sign he could pull through.

Hasta Manana

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I’ve found out that the dosage is the same for use with a 5-minute freshwater dip as the 30-minute bath. 1 tsp per 5 gallons.

And, I’ve also been reassured that MB is quite mild... probably one of the most mild medications we use, and the best choice working with what you had on hand. From your description... I think it was probably extensive gill damage from the velvet. The dips just sped things along :(

OP
OP
Scurvy

Scurvy

Pirate Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pin Tails still hanging in there. Turned the light on a little early and thought he was dead but when i touched him with the rod he turned up right and swam a little. More than he was capable of yesterday. This lasted a minute or so and he went back to a corner.

Im guessing he has gill damage like the two that didn’t make it. Visually he looked worse then the others did pre dip. Not sure what I should do with him at this point. Is there any chance he recovers from gill damage or will he just suffer til the end?

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im guessing he has gill damage like the two that didn’t make it. Visually he looked worse then the others did pre dip. Not sure what I should do with him at this point. Is there any chance he recovers from gill damage or will he just suffer til the end?

He might still recover... was he breathing fast? Or just kind of hanging around? Eat anything?

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think at this point I would go just ahead with the copper, he's not going to get any better if he's still infected with velvet. Try to get a little food in him if you can. I'm glad he survived the night, still rooting for the little guy!

WHITE BUCKET CHALLENGE : How CLEAR do you think your water is in your reef aquarium? Show us your water!

• Crystal Clear

Votes: 30 36.1%
  • Mostly clear with a tint of yellow

Votes: 47 56.6%
  • More yellow than clear

Votes: 5 6.0%
  • YUCKY YELLOW

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 1 1.2%
Back