Green coating on my rock

fishmonkey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A909709F-3EB0-48E6-8CBB-8F656B4999C1.jpeg

So at first I thought this stuff was green coralline algae but the more I looked into it I realized it’s probably not.

Can anyone specify what exactly is this green stuff on my rocks?

OP
OP
fishmonkey

fishmonkey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You didn't include the basic info... Age of the tank, parameters, lights, etc. Brand new coralline can be a bright green at first, but it's hard to tell in your pics.
Alk 9
Cal 450
Mag 1350
Salinity 1.025
nitrates currently 10 but had at 0 a month ago which sparked Dino problem. Working on getting it to 5
Phosphate .05

10 months old

green stuff has been there for many months and I have little purple coralline that usually ends up going away on the rocks. But that’s beside the point

Last edited:

welsher7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The green algae you are seeing is part of the normal maturation process that new tanks go through, especially when dry rock is used. As your tank ages it will go away and coraline or other algaes will take over. You don't see it in pictures very often because the heavy blue lights don't show it.

OP
OP
fishmonkey

fishmonkey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The green algae you are seeing is part of the normal maturation process that new tanks go through, especially when dry rock is used. As your tank ages it will go away and coraline or other algaes will take over. You don't see it in pictures very often because the heavy blue lights don't show it.
Is there any name for it other than green algae?

welsher7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know the name of it, but I'm sure it has one. There is really no way to avoid it. Just ride it out and over time it will go away.

zuri

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A909709F-3EB0-48E6-8CBB-8F656B4999C1.jpeg

So at first I thought this stuff was green coralline algae but the more I looked into it I realized it’s probably not.

Can anyone specify what exactly is this green stuff on my rocks?
that will never go aways an if it does, you're in trouble. it's like the primer for cars everything builds off of it also one of the biggest debates on if the calcification on live rock keeps it from algae outbreaks which from personal observation it does

OP
OP
fishmonkey

fishmonkey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know the name of it, but I'm sure it has one. There is really no way to avoid it. Just ride it out and over time it will go away.
Oh I actually like it. I just want to know the name of it and what exactly it does.
There is very little information on what it is and seems like an enigma tbh

OP
OP
fishmonkey

fishmonkey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that will never go aways an if it does, you're in trouble. it's like the primer for cars everything builds off of it also one of the biggest debates on if the calcification on live rock keeps it from algae outbreaks which from personal observation it does
Seems odd no one in the reefing community specifies what this is and it’s purpose.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 39 19.7%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.5%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 147 74.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 4.5%
Back