GREEN DIGI WONT OPEN AFTER FEEDING REEF ROIDS AND REDSEA AB+

Atomins

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey guys i spot fed my green digi yesterday with reef roids and redsea ab+, has not opened or even made any progress in opening. here are some pics. i also have another small piece of this that i fed and it opened after feeding
parameters:
salinity 1.026
calcium 410ppm
mag: 1500 ppm
alk: 12.4 DKH
nitrite .05 ppm
nitrate 5ppm
phosphate also reading 0, looking into dosing some neophos as im reading high alk needs more nutrients and i dont have much. it was open and looking and good last week!

IMG_5119.jpg IMG_5118.jpg IMG_5117.jpg

Last edited:

CBonito

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
im gonna do a 10% and see how it goes, thanks for the input. ill update you guys later or tomorrow!
I'm concerned with those white things on it. See if there's a way you can shake them off or find out what they are. They could be something eating the coral. You fragged that off the other base that was sitting on the sand and moved the new piece to a rock?

OP
OP
A

Atomins

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes but those white things were on it as soon as I mounted it last week or so. Didn’t seem to be bugging it although I will look when I get home!
I'm concerned with those white things on it. See if there's a way you can shake them off or find out what they are. They could be something eating the coral. You fragged that off the other base that was sitting on the sand and moved the new piece to a rock

Alex Cataldo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
using red sea coral pro, supposed to mix to like 11-12dkh, looking at changing to the blue bucket and ill look into the nitrite issue!
As long as the alk is stable, it shouldn’t be an issue. I think for right now you need to watch your nutrients, flow, and light. Sometimes the coral can have a delayed response to changes in light and flow.

OP
OP
A

Atomins

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
did the 20% water change and threw in some chemi pure blue, starting to open back up!

Attachments

• IMG_5152.jpg
    IMG_5152.jpg
    106 KB · Views: 20

OctaviusBrine

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would be careful with that chemiclean blue if you have no po4 already it’s really going to bottom your nutrients out. I’d keep an eye on po4 and no3 make sure you don’t end up with a different problem. Coral looks better though so that’s good.

OP
OP
A

Atomins

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would be careful with that chemiclean blue if you have no po4 already it’s really going to bottom your nutrients out. I’d keep an eye on po4 and no3 make sure you don’t end up with a different problem. Coral looks better though so that’s good.
sounds good, maybe ill just take it out after a day or two. i dont run it normally but maybe its just good to have one just in case.

OctaviusBrine

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you do two things at once it’s hard to tell what is helping. My guess would be the water change.
I just get worried when running chemicals/media like that or gfo in general as it can quickly bottom out phosphate. Anyway good luck and glad the coral is looking better.

OP
OP
A

Atomins

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you do two things at once it’s hard to tell what is helping. My guess would be the water change.
I just get worried when running chemicals/media like that or gfo in general as it can quickly bottom out phosphate. Anyway good luck and glad the coral is looking better.
understandable. thank you. i have a hanna p04 low range checker and everytime i test it reads 0, i then dosed some neophos only to bring it up to like .01 the other day after doing a reading and i am having an explosion of film algae on my glass

slingfox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is RedSea AB+ meant for spot feeding? It seems pretty common to spot feed with Reef Roids but I thought AB+ was mostly for general broadcast usage.

OP
OP
A

Atomins

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is RedSea AB+ meant for spot feeding? It seems pretty common to spot feed with Reef Roids but I thought AB+ was mostly for general broadcast usage.
never had an issue with it before, i mix ab+ with some reef roids and draw it into a pipette

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
0 phosphate will kill corals, and 0.01 phosphate is too low also. Remember, an environment completely inhospitable to algae is inhospitable to photosynthetic corals as well. If you find that keeping your nutrients at appropriate levels (5ppm or more nitrate, absolute minimum of 0.03ppm phosphate) causes an algae bloom, your tank may need time to mature (especially if you've been starving the biofilm and algae enough), or you may need more cleanup crew.

OP
OP
A

Atomins

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
0 phosphate will kill corals, and 0.01 phosphate is too low also. Remember, an environment completely inhospitable to algae is inhospitable to photosynthetic corals as well. If you find that keeping your nutrients at appropriate levels (5ppm or more nitrate, absolute minimum of 0.03ppm phosphate) causes an algae bloom, your tank may need time to mature (especially if you've been starving the biofilm and algae enough), or you may need more cleanup crew.
for sure, started looking into it and now i have a range to shoot for. gonna start a thread with my nutrient journey if you guys are interested. gonna get a dosing pump set up tomorrow

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 22 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 93 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.8%
Back