Greetings from the Gulf Coast! Lights may be the most confusing thing so far for this begginer.

kingranch2003

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello reef family! I hope your sticks are reaching for the Heavens, your torches are swaying, your montis are plating, and that everyone's favorite gsp is behaving itself back there on that island.

Of course none of that would happen or be seen without a light. Even before I began this hobby of reef keeping, I knew that one of the big contributing factors was lighting. So when I purchased my new aquarium (40 gallon cube) 21.7"(L) x 21.7"(W) x 21.7"(H), wish I'd gone with the breeder, but oh well, I realized that I'd be shelling out some bucks on a decent light. I plan to grow mostly LPS and a few soft corals. I'd like to keep blastos, favia, euphyllia and similar corals. I might not shoot for SPS corals in this begginer tank but, who knows. Right now it's not a big part of my plans. I really plan on starting slow.

After, i purchased the tank i was informed that the light that came with it was "no good" and needed to be upgraded! This was no surprise, I had previously been told to toss the skimmer, remove the filtration system and replace it, trash the lid, and eventuallyreplacethe return pump. "Im loving" the aquatop recife 40 "all in one bundle" .

So of course this made sense! Of course the light it came with was subpar! (pun intended). Does this mean I need brighter light? A more expensive light? A "Bluer" light? While I did my research and presumably saved a small fortune, I figured, that I'd run this light that I was going to replace in the mean time. I'll be honest, I was surprised by what I perceived as quality lighting. I don't think that little cube could get any brighter or bluer!! It lights up the entire room that I have my aquarium in. But i realize there is a lot more to coral growth than what my eyes can perceive.

I returned to the LFS to find out what lights he had in stock and what he recommended. He recommends the AI blade. And I will say that I trust these guys. I'm just wondering what it is about one light that makes it a better light. I'm sure there are a lot of factors. This is such a novice question that I'm almost hesitant to ask it. I'm open to all opinions as I'm not as informed on modern aquarium lighting as Id like to be yet.

I'm thinking of 2 AI blades (LFS recommend the AI Blade to start out with), 1 AI hydra 32 or 1 xr15. I wish I could see this "shimmer" that the kessil is known for as well. I'm also open to other suggestions. That's why I'm here!

I have about a $500-$600 budget. My tank is a 40 gallon cube. Dimensions: 21.7"(L) x 21.7"(W) x 21.7"(H) Thanks in advance

20240520_213457.jpg 20240515_114102.jpg 20240515_114108.jpg 20240519_220949.jpg

JoJosReef

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hydra would be a good option for that tank. If you want to save some money and get a high quality light, look at the Noopsyche K7 Pro III, which would be comparable, if not a bit better, than the Hydra. The AI app is head and shoulders above the Noopsyche App, though. Still serviceable, though. I run Noop Minis on my tank because the width is only ~16".
1716334323598.jpeg

What make the light better for corals? Spectrum and wattage. Also spread. Narrower spread can give you deeper penetration (less PAR loss as you go deeper), but can also give more shaded spots. Higher wattage chips are way better than lower wattage chips. 10 2.5 watt chips >>> 100 0.25 watt chips (for example, the Fluval Marine 3.0 lights have many 0.25 watt chips and is an extremely underpowered light). For spectrum, nice to have a white channel, a 450nm blue channel and a violet/UV channel in the lower 400s/upper 300s. "cool blue" also nice, and then red and green to taste. I like my spectrum with a bit more white mixed in with the strong blues and bit of UV/violet.

Anyway, can't go wrong with a Hydra on a 40 cube, and a Noop would do a good job as well.

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm just wondering what it is about one light that makes it a better light. I'm sure there are a lot of factors.
Important for you:

-Electricity use/cost (Wattage)

-The aesthetics of the fixture

-The aesthetic of the actual light from the fixture

Important for your photosynthetic critters (corals, giant clams, etc.):

-Spectrum (i.e. the specific wavelengths/types of light produced)

-PAR (Photosynthetically Active Radiation; how much energy the light is putting out in the photosynthetic spectrum - to say it another way, the amount of light being produced that things like corals, algae, and other photosynthetic organisms can "feed on")

-Coverage (i.e. how big of an area the light actually covers - as mentioned above, sometimes a broad, less powerful light is wanted, other times a narrow, more powerful light is wanted; sometimes you may want both on the same tank)

Simply put, your photosynthetic critters want the right kinds of light (spectrum) in the right amounts (PAR).

You, as the aquarist, however, also need to make sure the whole tank (or at least the photosynthetic-critter-growing area in it) has the proper light coverage for what you're trying to grow, and you want it to look nice (aesthetics), not break the bank (wattage), and be convenient/functional enough for your needs (features).

OP
OP
kingranch2003

kingranch2003

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hydra would be a good option for that tank. If you want to save some money and get a high quality light, look at the Noopsyche K7 Pro III, which would be comparable, if not a bit better, than the Hydra. The AI app is head and shoulders above the Noopsyche App, though. Still serviceable, though. I run Noop Minis on my tank because the width is only ~16".
1716334323598.jpeg

What make the light better for corals? Spectrum and wattage. Also spread. Narrower spread can give you deeper penetration (less PAR loss as you go deeper), but can also give more shaded spots. Higher wattage chips are way better than lower wattage chips. 10 2.5 watt chips >>> 100 0.25 watt chips (for example, the Fluval Marine 3.0 lights have many 0.25 watt chips and is an extremely underpowered light). For spectrum, nice to have a white channel, a 450nm blue channel and a violet/UV channel in the lower 400s/upper 300s. "cool blue" also nice, and then red and green to taste. I like my spectrum with a bit more white mixed in with the strong blues and bit of UV/violet.

Anyway, can't go wrong with a Hydra on a 40 cube, and a Noop would do a good job as well.
That's the best I've ever seen this question broken down. I was really hoping for this type of insight. I hope this answer is widely seen. I do like the hydra 32 and really appreciate the good interface, but I'm going to look at the Noopsyche though.. That is a nice setup.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Hello reef family! I hope your sticks are reaching for the Heavens, your torches are swaying, your montis are plating, and that everyone's favorite gsp is behaving itself back there on that island.

Of course none of that would happen or be seen without a light. Even before I began this hobby of reef keeping, I knew that one of the big contributing factors was lighting. So when I purchased my new aquarium (40 gallon cube) 21.7"(L) x 21.7"(W) x 21.7"(H), wish I'd gone with the breeder, but oh well, I realized that I'd be shelling out some bucks on a decent light. I plan to grow mostly LPS and a few soft corals. I'd like to keep blastos, favia, euphyllia and similar corals. I might not shoot for SPS corals in this begginer tank but, who knows. Right now it's not a big part of my plans. I really plan on starting slow.

After, i purchased the tank i was informed that the light that came with it was "no good" and needed to be upgraded! This was no surprise, I had previously been told to toss the skimmer, remove the filtration system and replace it, trash the lid, and eventuallyreplacethe return pump. "Im loving" the aquatop recife 40 "all in one bundle" .

So of course this made sense! Of course the light it came with was subpar! (pun intended). Does this mean I need brighter light? A more expensive light? A "Bluer" light? While I did my research and presumably saved a small fortune, I figured, that I'd run this light that I was going to replace in the mean time. I'll be honest, I was surprised by what I perceived as quality lighting. I don't think that little cube could get any brighter or bluer!! It lights up the entire room that I have my aquarium in. But i realize there is a lot more to coral growth than what my eyes can perceive.

I returned to the LFS to find out what lights he had in stock and what he recommended. He recommends the AI blade. And I will say that I trust these guys. I'm just wondering what it is about one light that makes it a better light. I'm sure there are a lot of factors. This is such a novice question that I'm almost hesitant to ask it. I'm open to all opinions as I'm not as informed on modern aquarium lighting as Id like to be yet.

I'm thinking of 2 AI blades (LFS recommend the AI Blade to start out with), 1 AI hydra 32 or 1 xr15. I wish I could see this "shimmer" that the kessil is known for as well. I'm also open to other suggestions. That's why I'm here!

I have about a $500-$600 budget. My tank is a 40 gallon cube. Dimensions: 21.7"(L) x 21.7"(W) x 21.7"(H) Thanks in advance

20240520_213457.jpg 20240515_114102.jpg 20240515_114108.jpg 20240519_220949.jpg
2 - Ai Hydra 26 or 32hd

2 noopsyche K7 pro

2-3 Orphek OR3-60 ( sky blue and blue plus)

Justfebreezeit

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a blade and would only recommend it as supplemental lightning or for a peninsula where the form factor would benefit.

The app is nice but the lack of spectrum options kind of sucks

No corals in this tank yet so I can't comment on it as a primary source just yet.

OP
OP
kingranch2003

kingranch2003

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a blade and would only recommend it as supplemental lightning or for a peninsula where the form factor would benefit.

The app is nice but the lack of spectrum options kind of sucks

No corals in this tank yet so I can't comment on it as a primary source just yet.
That's great insight on that light. Yeah, I completely understand what you mean with the peninsula and the design of it. Thanks for this. As I was leaning towards the blade at first.

TheReefPA

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Coming from a 20g “poverty build” that I ran an AI prime, decided to upgrade and went with the Radion xr15’s over my new 100G “what’s a budget build”. Pretty happy so far.

OP
OP
kingranch2003

kingranch2003

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Important for you:

-Electricity use/cost (Wattage)

-The aesthetics of the fixture

-The aesthetic of the actual light from the fixture

Important for your photosynthetic critters (corals, giant clams, etc.):

-Spectrum (i.e. the specific wavelengths/types of light produced)

-PAR (Photosynthetically Active Radiation; how much energy the light is putting out in the photosynthetic spectrum - to say it another way, the amount of light being produced that things like corals, algae, and other photosynthetic organisms can "feed on")

-Coverage (i.e. how big of an area the light actually covers - as mentioned above, sometimes a broad, less powerful light is wanted, other times a narrow, more powerful light is wanted; sometimes you may want both on the same tank)

Simply put, your photosynthetic critters want the right kinds of light (spectrum) in the right amounts (PAR).

You, as the aquarist, however, also need to make sure the whole tank (or at least the photosynthetic-critter-growing area in it) has the proper light coverage for what you're trying to grow, and you want it to look nice (aesthetics), not break the bank (wattage), and be convenient/functional enough for your needs (features).
Wow. This is a how-to on the subject. I appreciate you sharing your knowledge and love of the hobby. I'll save this post to always refer to.

OP
OP
kingranch2003

kingranch2003

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2 - Ai Hydra 26 or 32hd

2 noopsyche K7 pro

2-3 Orphek OR3-60 ( sky blue and blue plus)
Thank you so much for the reply! I didnt realize there was a 26! Hydra 32 is a popular choice, and probably the leading candidate at the moment. However, I've heard a couple of recommendations for the noopsyche k7, so I'll definitely be looking at that one. Orphek is a new one that I'll definitely consider.

OP
OP
kingranch2003

kingranch2003

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Coming from a 20g “poverty build” that I ran an AI prime, decided to upgrade and went with the Radion xr15’s over my new 100G “what’s a budget build”. Pretty happy so far.
I appreciate the response. It seems that those two are the top choice for me right now. Do you like the app for the radion (assuming there is one) as much as the AI?

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I appreciate the response. It seems that those two are the top choice for me right now. Do you like the app for the radion (assuming there is one) as much as the AI?
Both apps are simple and easy to use. My old 80 growout running 4 xr15 gen 5 blue.
I will be using the radions on a ext 50 frag system. My current display runs 2 Photon 50's.
20230511_092350.jpg

Dragen Fiend

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I own all sorts of lights now at this point. Kessil A80, AI prime 16HD, NICREW 50, FLUVAL marine nano, noopsyche K7.
Hands down for the costs and functionality. Noopsyche K7 wins for me.

Protein Skimmers – Are They Really Necessary?

• YES

Votes: 12 63.2%
  • NO

Votes: 4 21.1%
  • Not Sure

Votes: 3 15.8%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back