Grounding probe CAUSING a current in my sump.

stanleo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not crazy. Well I am, but not about this. I was messing in my sump and I put my hand in the sump water and I felt a steady electrical current. I have a grounding probe in my sump and one in the display. I checked the display and couldn't feel a charge there. I went back to the sump and while my hand was in the water I unplugged the probe and the charge stopped. I plugged it back in and the charge started again. Is this normal? Really weird thing is, I was just in there yesterday and didn't feel a thing.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems like there is an issue on the supply side. Do you have a socket wiring checker? Be careful!

OP
OP
stanleo

stanleo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems like there is an issue on the supply side. Do you have a socket wiring checker? Be careful!
Yeah we do have one. Do you mean there might be an issue with the socket? I will have my husband check on it, thank you. I know very little about electrical stuff.

DaneGer21

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe a device is ever so slightly leaking current and with no easy ground the resistance is high enough you wouldn’t know, but by introducing a clean direct path to ground it becomes apparent.

Try this...and please use a multi-meter(hopefully your husband has one) and not your hand! Haha

Check for current - note voltage

Plug in ground probe

Unplug every other device(NOT your ground probe) ONE at a time. Ex:skimmer, powerheads, return pump,etc.

Check for current to drop off after each device is unplugged.

Note which device the current drops after unplugging.

Replace that device if found.

*Unless the rare case sorta like mentioned above that your outlet went bad, but honestly I’ve seen just a few outlets ever go bad unless damaged/burnt*

Last edited:
OP
OP
stanleo

stanleo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe a device is ever so slightly leaking current and with no easy ground the resistance is high enough you wouldn’t know, but by introducing a clean direct path to ground it becomes apparent.

Try this...and please use a multi-meter(hopefully your husband has one) and not your hand!

Plug in ground probe
Unplug every other device(NOT your ground probe) ONE at a time.
Check for current to drop off after each device is unplugged.
Note which device the current drops after unplugging.
Replace that device if found.

*Unless the rare case sorta like mentioned above that your outlet went bad*
I think he has one of those and thank you, I will do that. And yeah ok, I won't use my hand lol.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 42 22.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 62 33.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 62 33.0%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 18 9.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.1%
Back