Group Grow outs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

flricordia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On a couple other forums there are some zoa grow outs going on. How would it sound if someone say with a zoanthid that is highly desired is paid x amount of $ by say 10 pple to grow out the zoanthid and after 4-6 months that person frags them up and ships them to those that put in on them, shipping of course paid by those that put in on them.
For example, last July I started with 3 Nightmares (6 of my own) and 3 Raptor Rainbows in a grow out on a different forum where 10 pple for each zoa type bought the 3 zoas and paid shipping to get them to me. Now, in April I will, upon collecting shipping fees, send these to the pple that put in on them.
Raptor Rainbows each person is getting about 10 polyps average, though I am not sure how much was paid, I think it was about $12 each, and Nightmares, about 10+ polyps to each and I think about the same. These were purchased from Vivid and I am only the grower so cost I am not all to sure about exact details.
Anyone interested in this kind of thing? I would love to get some Rastas and a few others.
Those with a good reputation and some desired zoas could be paid x amount of $ to start with x amount of zoas and grow them out for x amount of months and then ship them to each that has put in on them.
Just a thought...kind of spreads some highly desired zoas around and implements the aquaculture trend that seems to be growing.

Japanese Zoanthids
1. vietcu- paid
2. kev2me- paid
3. GrouperGenius- paid
4. Bannshy- paid
5. Chris22582- paid
6. Coraldiva- paid
7. Bn251- paid
8. greenmachine- paid
9. Ecotoxlady- paid
10. Crystal- paid

Last edited by a moderator:

kev2me

Zoaddiction
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's one of the chances you'll have to take when participating in a growout. It's better than blowing a ton of money on a little dinky rare frag.

You already know I'm interested, Mike.

Last edited:

Chris22582

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depending on the end cost Id be interested as well. How much do you generally have to put in and how long does it generally take for the grow out to be done?

coraldiva

LED
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it's a good idea and would be interested in being a part of it.

Hypertek99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great then that pack it is. flricordia i'm going to update a list of people on this page on your first post so we can keep track of whose in on it. If someone is interested can you add them to the list. Oh do you want to be the growout person if your interested??

OP
OP
flricordia

flricordia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great then that pack it is. flricordia i'm going to update a list of people on this page on your first post so we can keep track of whose in on it. If someone is interested can you add them to the list. Oh do you want to be the growout person if your interested??
I can do the grow out. I would get a frag of whatever is being grown in exchange for being the grower? I might have some rastas coming anyway so that pack looks good to me. We would need to keep the polyp counts down per person, say 3 polyps each, then shipped to each in the growout. That is a large pack and lots of fragging. I find it best to frag as they grow making them grow faster and making them tougher to fragging.
And would prefer someone else be the coordinator. Keep all the members addresses and be a go between and all.

Last edited:

bannshy

Why be Normal?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I understand: There will be eleven people involved. We will start with having the frag pack sent to flricordia. flricordia will then grow out the corals for 4 to 6 monthes. flricordia will then frag up each the colonies into 11 frags.

Our cost is 1/10 th the original cost each to buy the original frags. flricordia's cost is time to care for the corals. We pay shipping to have them shipped to us.

I can then maybe buy some other frags from flricordia to have shipped in the same box.

This doesn't sound like I have anything to loose. Win-Win situation the way I see it.

Jeremy

Last edited:

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
This is great guys! Keep it up!

OP
OP
flricordia

flricordia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mike, your gonna need a bigger tank.LOL
lol. I did set up another in-line with the 2 in-lines I have going now. The zoas I have I needed room to grow out so the room is there now. All the rics are gone :cry: now too which has given me some more room.
Off subject, but I have also started slicing LR up and using it as plugs/mounts. The zoas seem to take to it a bit better than ceramic/aragonite mounts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 167 72.9%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 17 7.4%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 40 17.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.2%
Back