Growth on Longhorn Cowfish

Adriahna Hartmann

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey! I am a student in the Marine Biology program at Central Campus, in Des Moines, IA. Over the past few days, a classmate and I have observed a white, fuzzy growth just beneath the mouth of our Longhorn Cowfish. It looks to be either a fungal or bacterial infection, but we are unsure. (images below of before and after) We have also noticed color/pattern changes that started back in October 2023. The respiration rates of the cowfish have also been quite high since we observed the growth (chart attached). Any ideas on what this could be, or possible treatments? Thanks!

IMG_1930.jpg cowfishgrowth.jpg image.png

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!

The acute rise in respiration rate is worrisome. Are you sure there is no environmental factor to account for that? (Lower aeration, higher water temperature, or water quality issues). I have to commend you for taking those rates and charting them - few people bother to do that.

Cowfish are one of those species that seem to do well at first, but often do not thrive long term in aquariums. Very often, I see the same thing as your fish shows - weird erosion on the horn tips, as well as lesions around the mouth. I've always presumed that these are from mechanical damage (rubbing on tank surfaces) but I don't know for certain.

Say Hi to Dr. Greg for me!

Jay

P.S. - here is some text I had written on respiration rates:

Aquarists are warned throughout this book that rapid breathing in their fish is a major symptom of potential problems, yet few know just what “rapid” is. Obviously, fish kept in warmer water or those with gill disease will respire more rapidly. Actively swimming fish respire faster than sedentary ones. Less obvious is that larger fish respire more slowly, and, in some cases, high ammonia levels will cause a fish to respire more slowly than normal. While there is some difference between species, (Chinese algae eaters will breathe twice as fast as any other fish their size) most tropical fish of the size kept in smaller aquariums should breathe at a rate of between 70 and 120 gill beats per minute. Relative respiration rate is the most important value – capturing the respiration rate of your fish when they are known to be healthy, gives you a baseline to compare to if you later suspect a problem. Not having this baseline data is an issue for newly acquired fish, so using the information below may serve as a secondary reference.

Fish may exhibit a variety of respiration forms in addition to the actual rate itself:

Open mouthed rapid respiration
– may be a sign of acute gill disease or serious water quality issues.
Rapid, shallow respiration – may be signs as above, or just a result of high activity level.
Rapid, deep respiration - possible chronic gill disease or anemia.
Coughing – a result of high levels of particulates in the water, or gill parasites.
Gasping at surface – usually only seen in freshwater fish under low oxygen conditions.
Facing into water flow – This is how marine fish often respond to respiratory issues.
Slow, deep respiration – may be normal, or a sign of ammonia toxicity.
Slow, shallow respiration – normal for most fishes.

Some fish simply do not hold still long enough for the aquarist to accurately count their respiration rate. In these cases, try to measure the rate for 15 seconds. Repeat this multiple times and then average the result and multiply that by four to get an average gill beat per minute value. For rapidly swimming fish, you can try setting a cadence to the few breaths you can see, and then tap your finger keeping count at the same rate if the fish’s gills become obscured. Another option is to video capture your subject and then count the respiration rate from the video – giving the option of pausing and repeating the video for a more accurate count.

A database of over 300 samples of fish respiration rates was developed over 30 years. Variables such as water temperature, fish size and health status were recorded. From this, estimated respiration rates for other fish could be established. Because this data cannot easily be presented in written form, some of this data has been extracted here:

Slowest respiration rate: 6 gill beats per minute for a 9” rockfish at 48 degrees F.
Quickest respiration rate for a healthy fish: 217 BPM for a 3” algae eater at 78 degrees F.
Quickest resp. rate for an unhealthy fish: 200 BPM for a butterflyfish with severe marine Ich
Quickest resp. rate for a healthy fish: 160 BPM for small butterflyfish at 84 F.
Average resp. rate for entire database: 60 BPM
Average size for all fish in database: 12”
Average water temperature for all database samples: 76 F.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Adriahna Hartmann

Adriahna Hartmann

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!

The acute rise in respiration rate is worrisome. Are you sure there is no environmental factor to account for that? (Lower aeration, higher water temperature, or water quality issues). I have to commend you for taking those rates and charting them - few people bother to do that.

Cowfish are one of those species that seem to do well at first, but often do not thrive long term in aquariums. Very often, I see the same thing as your fish shows - weird erosion on the horn tips, as well as lesions around the mouth. I've always presumed that these are from mechanical damage (rubbing on tank surfaces) but I don't know for certain.

Jay

Aquarists are warned throughout this book that rapid breathing in their fish is a major symptom of potential problems, yet few know just what “rapid” is. Obviously, fish kept in warmer water or those with gill disease will respire more rapidly. Actively swimming fish respire faster than sedentary ones. Less obvious is that larger fish respire more slowly, and, in some cases, high ammonia levels will cause a fish to respire more slowly than normal. While there is some difference between species, (Chinese algae eaters will breathe twice as fast as any other fish their size) most tropical fish of the size kept in smaller aquariums should breathe at a rate of between 70 and 120 gill beats per minute. Relative respiration rate is the most important value – capturing the respiration rate of your fish when they are known to be healthy, gives you a baseline to compare to if you later suspect a problem. Not having this baseline data is an issue for newly acquired fish, so using the information below may serve as a secondary reference.

Fish may exhibit a variety of respiration forms in addition to the actual rate itself:

Rapid, shallow respiration – may be signs as above, or just a result of high activity level.
Coughing – a result of high levels of particulates in the water, or gill parasites.
Gasping at surface – usually only seen in freshwater fish under low oxygen conditions.
Facing into water flow – This is how marine fish often respond to respiratory issues.

Some fish simply do not hold still long enough for the aquarist to accurately count their respiration rate. In these cases, try to measure the rate for 15 seconds. Repeat this multiple times and then average the result and multiply that by four to get an average gill beat per minute value. For rapidly swimming fish, you can try setting a cadence to the few breaths you can see, and then tap your finger keeping count at the same rate if the fish’s gills become obscured. Another option is to video capture your subject and then count the respiration rate from the video – giving the option of pausing and repeating the video for a more accurate count.

A database of over 300 samples of fish respiration rates was developed over 30 years. Variables such as water temperature, fish size and health status were recorded. From this, estimated respiration rates for other fish could be established. Because this data cannot easily be presented in written form, some of this data has been extracted here:

Slowest respiration rate: 6 gill beats per minute for a 9” rockfish at 48 degrees F.
Quickest respiration rate for a healthy fish: 217 BPM for a 3” algae eater at 78 degrees F.
Quickest resp. rate for an unhealthy fish: 200 BPM for a butterflyfish with severe marine Ich
Quickest resp. rate for a healthy fish: 160 BPM for small butterflyfish at 84 F.
Average water temperature for all database samples: 76 F
Welcome to Reef2Reef!

Jay

Average water temperature for all database samples: 76 F.
Thank you! The water quality in the tank has been stable, with salinity at 34.2 to 34.3ppt, ammonia has been at zero for the past few weeks, nitrites and nitrates are low as well, and the temperature has been at 26.2 degrees Celcius. The other fishes' respiration rates are similar to what they typically are, with a small spike three days ago, likely due to the fact that someone netted out one of our fish to transfer them to a different tank. We don't know exactly how long we have had this cowfish, but it has been at least three years. Thanks again for your help!

Upvote 0

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 22 28.9%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 28 36.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 26.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.3%
Back