GSP not opening?

ndz98

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's been a couple days since my gsp has opened up. I haven't changed anything in the tank. Only thing I've done was move it to a different spot to see if maybe it needed more light or more flow. Here are my tank parameters.

image.png

OP
OP
ndz98

ndz98

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What kind of light is he under? Turn your blues up to 100%
I've got an sb reef box extreme 16 in. All my other coral is looking good except for the gsp. If I up the blues will it bleach them?

Sabellafella

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I don't have a test for that but what would make it go up or down suddenly?
Mine will usually close up when my phosphate levels get over .5ppm, gsp are one of those corals that also could just close for no reason and open back up when they please lol. It could also be flow, sometimes theyll appreciate a higher flow

FindNem0

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How many gallons is it? How often do you do water changes? Do you dose? Why is your calcium so hi? I do a water change on by Biocube once a week. I don't dose. You start dosing and you start losing stuff. If it ain't broken don't fix it. I would move it back. I run my blues at 100 % and my whites at 10%, but everyone is different. Blues for 12 hours whites for 4 hours

OP
OP
ndz98

ndz98

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How many gallons is it? How often do you do water changes? Do you dose? Why is your calcium so hi? I do a water change on by Biocube once a week. I don't dose. You start dosing and you start losing stuff. If it ain't broken don't fix it. I would move it back. I run my blues at 100 % and my whites at 10%, but everyone is different. Blues for 12 hours whites for 4 hours
It's about 35 g gallons with sump. I do water 5g water changes once every 2-3 weeks. No I don't dose yet. The calcium is high because I was using reef crystals and I didn't have a lot of coral to utilize all the organic a in the salt so over time the levels kept getting higher. I am letting them drop so they can get to where the correct levels are and I'm going to use regular salt instead and dose to the correct levels. I don't currently have an ato. My salinity is usually stable. Stays around 1.025. I have been manually topping water off every day and haven't seen any major salinity changes. I am currently in the process of making an ato though.

FindNem0

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The new smart ATO's are $99 and sweet. They have an optical eye that hooks up to the pump. When the water drops past the optical it tops off. Can't beat it. Float switches are phased out. New technology that is simple. I do a water change once a week. It's such a small system that doing water changes once a week is all you need to do. I have a 29 gallon Biocube. Try doing water changes once a week.

OP
OP
ndz98

ndz98

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The new smart ATO's are $99 and sweet. They have an optical eye that hooks up to the pump. When the water drops past the optical it tops off. Can't beat it. Float switches are phased out. New technology that is simple. I do a water change once a week. It's such a small system that doing water changes once a week is all you need to do. I have a 29 gallon Biocube. Try doing water changes once a week.
Where'd you find that kind of ato?

GMay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you moved it, it is probably just ticked off. I moved one recently and it stayed closed for about three days. Just give it some time and it will probably come back.

nervousmonkey

LPS Lover, SPS Enabler
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
^^ this. Moving them, changing light values on them, make them close up for me. Also, as sabella said, when PO4 gets too high they close. I use my gsp as a canary in a coal mine. When they close it means something has happened that they don't like.

dsh92056

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just moving it will make it not open for a couple of days. I have done this in the past with the same result give it time to get accustom to its new location. Remember you can't kill GSP.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 172 72.6%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 17 7.2%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 42 17.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.5%
Back