OP
Snoopdog

Snoopdog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you driving over to those two to get your RODI water? I'm going to try to check them out this afternoon.

When I am at Bills I notice how many people buy water there, lots of water. There must be decent money in that. I cannot imagine toting all that water around, it is enough for me to do water changes each week and that is just going out the back door.

BamaCoastPyrat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I am at Bills I notice how many people buy water there, lots of water. There must be decent money in that. I cannot imagine toting all that water around, it is enough for me to do water changes each week and that is just going out the back door.
I have only had my tank set up for 8 weeks and it is a massive pain in the butt. I'm going to buy 10 gallons of water in a couple of hours when I head to mobile and that is the last time I'm driving to buy water. I'll order a RODI system tonight.

OP
OP
Snoopdog

Snoopdog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had an old unit for a really long time. I replaced it last year with a fairly high end BRS unit, I was pretty impressed with it. I also did the storage tank with it so we use it for drinking water, ice, etc.

BamaCoastPyrat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had an old unit for a really long time. I replaced it last year with a fairly high end BRS unit, I was pretty impressed with it. I also did the storage tank with it so we use it for drinking water, ice, etc.
This is the one that I am leaning towards. It sounds like the one that you are describing. I will add a pressure gauge and TDS meter.

How does the water taste out of it?

.Haliax.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn't know they made one for reef and drinking use. I never tried it, but I always heard drinking RODI wasn't good for you. Maybe the drinking water bypasses the DI resin or something, I'm not sure.

Anyway, yeah buying a RODI set up is totally worth it, I highly recommend it. If you need any assistance with it, let me know

OP
OP
Snoopdog

Snoopdog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn't know they made one for reef and drinking use. I never tried it, but I always heard drinking RODI wasn't good for you. Maybe the drinking water bypasses the DI resin or something, I'm not sure.

Anyway, yeah buying a RODI set up is totally worth it, I highly recommend it. If you need any assistance with it, let me know

Yes, you can make it bypass the DI resin, I even put an extra one way valve in there to reassure the DI water does not back through.

OP
OP
Snoopdog

Snoopdog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

This is the one that I am leaning towards. It sounds like the one that you are describing. I will add a pressure gauge and TDS meter.

How does the water taste out of it?

Out of mine it taste fine, I bypass the DI resin. If you really do not like the taste out of it you can put a filter right before your faucet to give it more flavor. We actually prefer it to bottled water. It also runs to my ice maker and I take the water to work and make my coffee with it.

I took a pool bucket, I guess around 6-7 gallons and put a float valve in it right at the 5 gallon mark. When I need to do a water change I just pull a hose from my kitchen cabinet into the bucket, turn the valve on and make water 5 gallons exactly each time.

And yes, that is the exact same one I bought.

20220325_175533.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Snoopdog

Snoopdog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Going back to this thread, we do all need to keep in touch. This hobby can be expensive. Someone may need a fitting, pump, have an emergency, etc.

I do not know how many times I have thought in the back of my mind that in an emergency there is no one I currently know that I would trust to keep my tank running. It is not like the average joe can look at a reef tank and know which valve controls the sump level. I also just enjoy geeking out talking about tanks, programming or sysadmin stuff.

.Haliax.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Going back to this thread, we do all need to keep in touch. This hobby can be expensive. Someone may need a fitting, pump, have an emergency, etc.

I do not know how many times I have thought in the back of my mind that in an emergency there is no one I currently know that I would trust to keep my tank running. It is not like the average joe can look at a reef tank and know which valve controls the sump level. I also just enjoy geeking out talking about tanks, programming or sysadmin stuff.
I agree 100%

OP
OP
Snoopdog

Snoopdog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am amazed how dead this is. I have no idea what happened to all the local people collaborating? I tried the Facebook groups by creating a fake account, I have no desire to do another personal Facebook account. The result? Horrible. You cannot really get a collaboration going, it just seems like the Facebook groups are vendors peddling their wares. I also have no idea what to do to make everything more collaborative and personal? I mean back when I was getting started reefing in Mobile we have a blast posting on mbrk.com and talking about our tanks, gear, learning it all. Maybe life has just changed for everyone, I have no idea what to do to spark an interest for everyone. I have so many dang frags to get rid of and well, no one seems interested. I mean at this point I am just trading frags for fish food with the local shops, I just thought there would be more interest in the hobby now. When I posted to see interest in frags, about 4 people replied wanting them but not one person followed through with it.

20220612_130749(1).jpg

Last edited:

BamaCoastPyrat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am amazed how dead this is. I have no idea what happened to all the local people collaborating? I tried the Facebook groups by creating a fake account, I have no desire to do another personal Facebook account. The result? Horrible. You cannot really get a collaboration going, it just seems like the Facebook groups are vendors peddling their wares. I also have no idea what to do to make everything more collaborative and personal? I mean back when I was getting started reefing in Mobile we have a blast posting on mbrk.com and talking about our tanks, gear, learning it all. Maybe life has just changed for everyone, I have no idea what to do to spark an interest for everyone. I have so many dang frags to get rid of and well, no one seems interested. I mean at this point I am just trading frags for fish food with the local shops, I just thought there would be more interest in the hobby now. When I posted to see interest in frags, about 4 people replied wanting them but not one person followed through with it.

20220612_130749(1).jpg
Where were you posting about frags? I agree about the Facebook groups. They are just people selling stuff. I can't remember where you said you are. I'm in Daphne.

OP
OP
Snoopdog

Snoopdog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where were you posting about frags? I agree about the Facebook groups. They are just people selling stuff. I can't remember where you said you are. I'm in Daphne.

West Mobile. I may had cross-posted in two groups, but I know for sure I posted in the Mobile and Baldwin County group.

OP
OP
Snoopdog

Snoopdog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Screenshot_20220720-132515.png

Is this you? It's the only post about frags I saw on mobile/Baldwin county in July that wasn't from a business.

I do not see my post anymore. I do not really remember pulling them down though, so either I did pull them down after a week or the moderator deleted them. I got replies from Xzandrea Whittaker, Theresa Ann Kirk, Stevo Sloan and Zack Tanner. No one ever followed up after PMing me though.

BamaCoastPyrat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do not see my post anymore. I do not really remember pulling them down though, so either I did pull them down after a week or the moderator deleted them. I got replies from Xzandrea Whittaker, Theresa Ann Kirk, Stevo Sloan and Zack Tanner. No one ever followed up after PMing me though.
I see. I'm guessing you're selling the frags? I don't have my AI Prime's set up yet so I can't keep corals. And I also haven't studied up on them yet.

Building with glass and silicone: Have you ever built a tank or had a custom tank built?

• I have built an aquarium.

Votes: 13 14.9%
  • I have had a custom tank built.

Votes: 19 21.8%
  • I have never built a tank or had a custom tank built.

Votes: 50 57.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 5.7%
Back