Gulf Coast

.Haliax.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So we have been on reef moonshiners a few months now, still dialing in but we are getting close now. During that time I also went ahead and pulled the skimmer out in July. So since July our nitrates did get high but after getting all of the elements correct on reef moonshiners like iodine and iron the caulerpa took off. I am now removing several cups of caulerpa each week, it is growing out of control and nitrates have dropped to 5, even with blasting multiple teaspoons of reefroids weekly our phosphates will not seem to rise to readable levels. We have not done a water change in months and no skimmer and nitrates today are less than 5 from testing today and phosphates are 0. We are going to start dosing nitrates this week and keep increasing our reefroid feedings.

I can tell things are still not perfect but I have noticed we are now getting substantial growth of coraline algae that was not growing before. I am now seeing so many copepods, the population of them has tripled in a few months. I love the idea of not having a skimmer and no water changes. Not having to clean and empty a skimmer is great and I absolutely do not miss water changes.
I’ve been on reef moonshiners for a couple of years. And I love it, I do still run a skimmer though.

BamaCoastPyrat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone posted recently to the marketplace? I'm getting a message that minimum of prefixes has not been met even though I checked all of the boxes. How do I get around this?

OP
OP
Snoopdog

Snoopdog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Basically I have created a full algae filter instead of filter socks. This is a solid sheet of 6-8 inches of grape caulerpa. One entire section of my sump of full, I will have to cull it out this week because it is now growing an inch a day and going into the next chamber.

20231211_165931.jpg
20231211_165922.jpg

BamaCoastPyrat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With 4 kids, 3 jobs, trying to start nursing school in the next year, and the possibility of a move, I can't keep up with my system in time or financially. So I am having to break down at least until I finish nursing school.

Before I post on the Facebook group, is anyone interested in any of my livestock?

-One spot foxface ~ 5.5"
-Neon blue goby, captive bred
-Pair of ORA black ice snowflake clowns, about 18 months old
-Yashia goby bonded with tiger pistol shrimp, goby is captive bred
-Peppermint shrimp
-Pencil sea urchin
-tons of collonista snails
-Live rock, some with zoas on them
-2 brittle star fish that are recovering from my deployment but need some more TLC

Once all of that is gone, I will have all of the equipment and lighting to move

Justin Allen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice, I work at the Navy
With 4 kids, 3 jobs, trying to start nursing school in the next year, and the possibility of a move, I can't keep up with my system in time or financially. So I am having to break down at least until I finish nursing school.

Before I post on the Facebook group, is anyone interested in any of my livestock?

-One spot foxface ~ 5.5"
-Peppermint shrimp
-Pencil sea urchin
-2 brittle star fish that are recovering from my deployment but need some more TLC

Scratch08

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

-One spot foxface ~ 5.5"
-Peppermint shrimp
-Pencil sea urchin

Let me see if I can get a temporary tank up and running by the weekend, busy with a remodel on my new house and main display tank is still sitting empty in the garage, if I can, then I can take some stuff off your hands. I’ll be in touch with you by Friday night

BamaCoastPyrat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let me see if I can get a temporary tank up and running by the weekend, busy with a remodel on my new house and main display tank is still sitting empty in the garage, if I can, then I can take some stuff off your hands. I’ll be in touch with you by Friday night
Sounds good, and I can hold on to them for a minute if you need to get set up.

I'll also have a 40g up for sale that has been acting as part of my sump, if that helps.

Scratch08

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds good, and I can hold on to them for a minute if you need to get set up.

I'll also have a 40g up for sale that has been acting as part of my sump, if that helps.
I have a 40gal and a 60 gallon frag tank, plus a couple of extra sumps in the garage, biggest issue is finding a spot to put them right now, but will figure something out

Rp8

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What type/color zoas? I’m in Baldwin county also.
Interested in brittle star and goby also

-One spot foxface ~ 5.5"
-Peppermint shrimp
-Pencil sea urchin

Rp8

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

-One spot foxface ~ 5.5"
-Peppermint shrimp
-Pencil sea urchin

Give us a shot at the equipment also!

Rp8

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm in Belforest. Are you interested in the neon blue goby? I want to move the yashia goby with the pistol shrimp. They are best friends.

I'll definitely give y'all first dibs on the equipment.
PM sent.

BamaCoastPyrat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is anyone interested in any livestock before I post them to the Facebook groups?

-One spot foxface ~ 5.5"
-Peppermint shrimp
-Pencil sea urchin
-2 brittle star fish

@Scratch08 @Rp8

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 61 40.1%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 43 28.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 29 19.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.3%
Back