Gyre 200 series thoughts ?

jameswetton2895

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am thinking of upgrading my power heads to a new gyre 250. Has anyone had any experience with these good or bad ?

Acro maniac

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the 250, and love it! It was a pain to figure out the controller because the directions are awful. But once I got it it does what it's supposed to do. Thumbs up from me.
Agreed controller is a learning curve do to directions being vague. But once you figure it out. Very pleased
Might be a video by now on the contoller setup.

ebushrow

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really good pumps, move a ton of water for you...the 200 series controllers are so much nicer than the 100 series and you can link them together which is much better!

bugiguy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just set up my XF-250 on my 120G. Guess I'm still on the other side of the learning curve...I'm getting a ton of flow but not able to dial the volume down to a suitable level for my lps and smaller fish. Any suggestions, or directions would be greatly appreciated.

fragit

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just set up my XF-250 on my 120G. Guess I'm still on the other side of the learning curve...I'm getting a ton of flow but not able to dial the volume down to a suitable level for my lps and smaller fish. Any suggestions, or directions would be greatly appreciated.

I would suggest messing with the random flow mode or the gradual increase mode. Random flow is the one with the large arrow small arrow large arrow in the setting. The gradual increase is small arrow medium arrow large arrow. That way your LPS and small fish are not constantly having to battle big surges, but there are still those strong pulses every once in a while to move detritus.

OP
OP
jameswetton2895

jameswetton2895

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would suggest messing with the random flow mode or the gradual increase mode. Random flow is the one with the large arrow small arrow large arrow in the setting. The gradual increase is small arrow medium arrow large arrow. That way your LPS and small fish are not constantly having to battle big surges, but there are still those strong pulses every once in a while to move detritus.

This sounds perfect for what Im after. Posted a full tank shot below, would you think that one would be ok or would I need one on each end ?
IMG_7369.JPG

lake985

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a single XF250 on my Reefer XL425 that's still cycling and it moves a ton of water, even at 50%. However, I'm experiencing a strange creaking sound--almost like crickets--when it's running between 10% and 50%. The lower the settings, the higher pitched the sound. I'm going to give it another week or so to further break-in before contacting Maxspect.

OP
OP
jameswetton2895

jameswetton2895

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a single XF250 on my Reefer XL425 that's still cycling and it moves a ton of water, even at 50%. However, I'm experiencing a strange creaking sound--almost like crickets--when it's running between 10% and 50%. The lower the settings, the higher pitched the sound. I'm going to give it another week or so to further break-in before contacting Maxspect.

Thats not great, wouldn't want one if that noise is normal. Positive results apart from that though ?

lake985

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats not great, wouldn't want one if that noise is normal. Positive results apart from that though ?
Yes, I love the various settings on the controller and the amount of water it moves. I'm hoping my little noise problem is an isolated occurrence since no one else mentioned a similar problem above. Right now I only run the gyre at night when we're asleep (note that I'm still cycling), otherwise the creaking noise drives my wife crazy during the day.

cnseekatz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just ordered an xf230 for my 45g shallow Cad Lights. I'm interested to see if I can make it work in a 12" shallow tank with a sandbed.

Weeble10

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm running two xf-230's on my Reefer425xl. Like other have stated figuring out the controller settings takes a minute but once your up and running the water movement can't be beat! I'm running the the 24hour preset O.G.C. - "Oceanic Gyre Cycle" at just 20% and still have some sand blowing....definitely worth it IMO

ahiggins

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the 230 on my frag tank and it is fantastic.
Pros: easy to install and move inside the tank, sleek look, moves a TON of water in the 40gal at 60% peak, super easy to "pause" for feeding.
Cons: directions suck, alternating gyre doesnt work the way its supposed to (timing is wrong).
Overall I absolutely recommend them :)

OP
OP
jameswetton2895

jameswetton2895

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm running two xf-230's on my Reefer425xl. Like other have stated figuring out the controller settings takes a minute but once your up and running the water movement can't be beat! I'm running the the 24hour preset O.G.C. - "Oceanic Gyre Cycle" at just 20% and still have some sand blowing....definitely worth it IMO
Thanks for your input, great to hear.

OP
OP
jameswetton2895

jameswetton2895

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the 230 on my frag tank and it is fantastic.
Pros: easy to install and move inside the tank, sleek look, moves a TON of water in the 40gal at 60% peak, super easy to "pause" for feeding.
Cons: directions suck, alternating gyre doesnt work the way its supposed to (timing is wrong).
Overall I absolutely recommend them :)
Thanks. Nice review.

Mageau11

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just added an xf230 to my 54g Corner Bowfront (I also have a EcoTech mp10) and it's added a nice additional flow to my tank. No issues with noise. I switched out one of the blades so I can run it in alternating gyre mode and I'm only running it at 20% and it's plenty of flow for my LPS.
IMG_3842.JPG

ahiggins

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. Nice review.
youre welcome :) I have mine set at random mode with a 60% peak. Im still in the process of getting ahold of the right people to diagnose the alternating gyre malfunction. BUT what I didnt know is that there are two additional sides/motors that come with your gyre. You have to put one of those on to be able to run reverse and not just counter current. just an FYI

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 60 38.5%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 22.4%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.8%
Back