Gyre pumps on 180 gallon

Kilo hat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wanted to get input on using gyre pumps on a standard 180. I was thinking about getting two Masxpect XF230's and running them instead of the traditional power head. I currently have 2 MP40's and wanted to change things up. Vortech's are too smart for me lol.

McFly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO, I used to have (2) MP10s on my 56Tall, they were easier to use and clean than my XF280s on my 150g. Overall I find the Gyres slightly more complex and difficult to use, versus the Vortech MP series.

Now the flow from the Gyres is amazing and worth it, however if I had the money and room for Vortech pumps I would rather use them for maintenance ease.

OP
OP
Kilo hat

Kilo hat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO, I used to have (2) MP10s on my 56Tall, they were easier to use and clean than my XF280s on my 150g. Overall I find the Gyres slightly more complex and difficult to use, versus the Vortech MP series.

Now the flow from the Gyres is amazing and worth it, however if I had the money and room for Vortech pumps I would rather use them for maintenance ease.

Is your tank a 6' tank? Do you think the 230's would work in a 6' tank or do I need to go bigger/

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

If you are getting gyres, go bigger. You will be able to run them at a lower speed and they will be more quiet.

I have an xf250 that just st replaced with an mp 60 (also have have 2 mo40). The gyre flow is amazing, but they need more maintenance and are louder IME.

McFly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am running the XF 280s at 10% most of the time. During peak flow in the afternoon they hit 20%. I am slowing working the flow up, but I can't see going above 50% for normal operation.

I agree with dwest, go big so you can run them slower for quieter operation and hopefully longer life.

My tank is 5.25' or 63 inches long and the flow reaches the other side of the tank.

I read somewhere yesterday that Maxspect is about to discontinue the 200 series and release the 300 series in a month or two. Not sure if this is true, but I would double check.

ReefEngr

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a standard 180 and run two XF 280's. They run at only 10% alternating. Running at anything above 20% is overkill in my tank, because I have a lot of lps corals. Like Forsaken77 said, the XF 250's would be good.
I originally ran mp40's. I find that vortech pumps are easier to use and clean compare to gyre pumps, and take up less space. However, I like the flow of the gyre pump more.

OP
OP
Kilo hat

Kilo hat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a standard 180 and run two XF 280's. They run at only 10% alternating. Running at anything above 20% is overkill in my tank, because I have a lot of lps corals. Like Forsaken77 said, the XF 250's would be good.
I originally ran mp40's. I find that vortech pumps are easier to use and clean compare to gyre pumps, and take up less space. However, I like the flow of the gyre pump more.

Thanks everyone for their input! I think I am leaning towards the XF250's. Any thoughts on the Maxspect duo return pump with dual outlets? Seems like it would be a great way to pump water to both returns and not have to run any T's that would rob or slow flow to one side or the other.

ReefEngr

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never used the Maxspect duo return pump, so I can't tell you. I'm running the Simplicity DC-2100 (at 40%), and it does a great job of returning the water from the sump to display tank. I don't need the water for the return line to be evenly distributed, so I'm fine with one outlet and tee off. The Maxscept duo looks like a great pump though.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 38 19.7%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.6%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 143 74.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 4.7%
Back