"Gyre" type power heads..

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I built my tank, I put in a XF150. Liked it a lot, but it basically pushed water around in one direction at variable speeds. My LFS had the Jebao version on sale, so I bought one. Six months later, it's one of my priciest paperweights. When I began my upgrade project, I picked up a XF250 and controller. The new pump is decidedly noisier than the 150 (after a couple of months in service) and I think I have one of those controllers that needs the firmware upgrade - gotta go find an unformatted SD card to transfer it on, I suppose . . .

Overall, I like the pumps - my first Maxspect Gyre, the XF150, is still in service, and with the 250 on the opposite wall of the 65, it's moving water _everywhere_ - and moving it fast, pulling pea-sized bubbles out of the surface at the center of the tank, yanking them halfway to the bottom. (You wouldn't think I'd have a cyano problem, would ya? Yeah - you'd be wrong about that . . . )

~Bruce

Yellowjacket

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two of the 250's used in conjunction with one controller. They are used on my 150 gal deep tank. They work great together and are running at plus/minus 40%. They really move the water and they do emit a little hum, but most of the time I can't hear them. They all have the ruggedized impellors and are very sturdy. I like the different programs you can use with the controller to sync each gyre. I would definitely buy them again and recommend them.

I have the 130 for my 75 gal tank and it came with the standard impellors. Those impellors broke very easily and had to buy the ruggedized impellors and I haven't had a problem with the gyre since.

Cory

More than 25 years reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fyi, all of those issues where part of the original release that were fixed well before the xf200 series came out.

I have not heard of any good support for Canadians though. Coralvue provides good support for the US.

But maxspect will replace the splitting cord motor.

Yeah the US has much better customer service by far.

Ill never buy the newer models again but would consider buying the newer versions 200 series.

OP
OP
Tony Feathers

Tony Feathers

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So today I finally bit the bullet and ordered an Ice Cap Gyre 3K. Can't wait to see what it does.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 31 16.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 13.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 112 58.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.3%
Back