Gyre vs. powerhead

SheldonC

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This topic probably comes with pretty polar results, but curious what people like most between the two types of wave makers. I have a Red Sea 300 (so a 36" tank) and it came with two ReefWave 25s. However, I recently swapped them for two Nero5s because of the Apex compatibility.

I don't have any corals yet in the tank, so this isn't a "is there enough flow" question because 1) I don't have corals to tell me but 2) I know both the ReefWave and the Nero5 is more than enough. What I'm more interested in is if people have anecdotal evidence towards on or the other. Do you feel you get better overall flow with a gyre? Does the benefit of a powerhead being placed midway down the tank make it worthwhile? Does it really not matter as long as there is flow? Previous setups I've only used powerheads, but more and more I hear people using exclusively gyres.

Last edited:

Js.Aqua.Project

Reef Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Having had and been around tanks that use more traditional and MP/Nero style powerheads, I much prefer the Gyres.

The Gyres get an entire wall of water moving versus the stream of the more conventional power heads. Since the second gen they can link two together to create simulated reef flow patterns.

disaster999

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gyre works better on a larger tank as it can reach further, powerheads if you have a wide flow pattern, corals near the power head would benefit from it, but wont have the reach. Narrow flow pattern you can reach the other end, but your corals would get blasted if placed too close to the flow.

PR_nano

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went with 2 Maxspect (330) gyre on a 36" tank. Also have a Tunze Wavebox but likely removing it, too bulky and loud. Possibly replacing it with another pump down the road. No corals yet, tank recently cycle and have some TBS rock coming to help with biodiversity prior to stocking.

OP
OP
S

SheldonC

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is all super helpful, thank you! Maybe I'll swap the Nero5s for the Orbits from AI. Understanding they're just a Maxspect under the sheets, but I still get that much-desired Apex connection.

litsoh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an MP40 on one end of my 125 gallon and while it does well to move water I’ve been considering adding a gyre on the other end of the tank to add more random flow patterns.

Billyreef-ita

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following very interested.

What about the noise? what is more silent? Traditional power heads or gyres?
I’d like to go for an Orbit but I keep on reading that gyre generally speaking are little are noisy. Any feedback on this?

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following very interested.

What about the noise? what is more silent? Traditional power heads or gyres?
I’d like to go for an Orbit but I keep on reading that gyre generally speaking are little are noisy. Any feedback on this?
I’ve never had gyres but I want one. I’ve heard they make noise after a while. The constant moving up and down wears them down and they become noisy.

mexi757

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had a pair of ice cap 2k in my 125 for over 3 years. No problems no noise and little upkeep. I would recommend them to all.

zberq

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 75g, 4ft and use a 2200gph gyre on the top right wall, turned down to about 65% and a Nero 3 on my left wall running random at about 70%. I personally feel my Nero3 running at 70% is louder than my gyre.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 17 32.7%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 13.5%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 17 32.7%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 10 19.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.9%
Back