Had red bacteria, treated it, now something brown

Heidivee

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 10 gallon tank. Ammonia, nitrate, nitrite, and temperature high. Still cycling. Got red bacteria, lowered temp and treated with chemiclean that fish store recommended. Now it's brown. The patch in the sand hasn't changed but now I'm getting new brown on rocks. What do I do now?

20220204_113211.jpg 20220204_113154.jpg

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's no reason to be adding chemicals during a cycle. All different forms of algae are normal and supposed to happen while a tank matures.

OP
OP
Heidivee

Heidivee

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you. So it goes away once you get your levels right. I'm about 2.5 weeks into cycling.

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you. So it goes away once you get your levels right. I'm about 2.5 weeks into cycling.
Over the next year or so your entire tank will undergo a lot of changes. You'll have algae in all different colors and sizes. Remove what you can by hand, manage parameters, update CuC as necessary. That's all there is to it. Everyone who uses dry rock deals with the ugly phase. It's normal and there's nothing wrong with it.

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What you have now is just simple diatoms. They are consuming the silicate in your tank and is something everyone with a new tank deals with. Next all of your rocks will turn a shade of green, then probably some hair algae, finally coraline will start showing up and you begin the home stretch.

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 1 1.5%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 12.1%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 28 42.4%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 27 40.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.0%
Back