Halloween hermit crab eating corals?

Bram2004

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two frags of gsp ones quite small while the other one is a large lump with strands about 2 inches in length I had got this Halloween crab about 3 days ago and today he went on the rock for the first time I've seen and literally went straight for the small lump of gsp, and started eating something on it (i can't tell if it was something on the gsp or the gsp itself). Then knocking it off my rock into the sand where I'm not going to be able to get to till my next water change.

He then proceeded to go to the larger lump and started eating stuff on top of that one. I also have a toadstool leather coral, a pipe organ coral, and another coral i honestly don't know the name of. but he didn't decide to go for any of those. which all are kind of close together.

I can post a picture or two if it would help. keep in mind this is quite a large hermit crab, but I don't know if I should leave him in or take him out. tank is question is a 10 gallon cube. Also almost everything ive read online says these guys are reef safe.

TX_REEF

Kessil Fanboy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a red leg hermit devour a hammer coral, this doesn’t surprise me. Especially once they get big, they’ll eat whatever they want.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 23 14.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 94 57.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.7%
Back