Handling an anemone...

Logan A.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do you get an anemone from the bag you bought it in into your tank where you want it wont it sting you. Rose bubble tip anemone.

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do you get an anemone from the bag you bought it in into your tank where you want it wont it sting you. Rose bubble tip anemone.
A bubbletips sting isn't all that severe. Most people dont even feel it or have a reaction. However there are some people who are more sensitive than others and may have a reaction. Wear a pair of powderless rubber gloves when handling an anemone just in case :)

jd371

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Turned off all the pumps, scooped it from the bag and placed it on the rock. I waited about 20 min. before turning on the pumps again and kept on eye to make sure it was secure to the rock. I've never been stung by either my RBTA or the Condy when handling them or working in the tank.

dylana407

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use bare hand when I handled my BTAs and used bare hand when I got my new gig. I believe that as long as they don't grab the part of the skin that have sweat glands, then you are ok. To be safe, always wear gloves.

Baldguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As others have said you won't feel any sting. If anything, they are a little sticky to hold. Just hold the BTA where you want it and it will grab hold of the rock. Be aware that it will more than likely move where he is happiest.

mike werner

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the only time I ever felt the sting was on an open coral cut on my finger.i guess the nerves are exposed and more sensitive.oh the burn.

U

User1

View Badges
I always use Nitrile gloves when my hands are in the tank or moving corals and/or fish. Just makes things a lot easier all round in my opinion. If I am going to be in there a while I will sometimes grab a pair of my better half hair holder things or elastic things she uses to prevent water from getting in. Personal opinion but if you have a tank they are a requirement.

ESH

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Micah Sparks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When handling most types of anemone that you can get for your home aquarium, like many people have already said, their sting isn’t really strong enough to effect human skin. But it really does depend on the person. Most people have thick enough calluses on the palm of their hands that an anemone that you would get from your average pet-store can’t sting through it. But it’s the back of your hands and open cuts or sores that you need to be cautious about, because there is nothing to protect your nerves from getting stung. But as I said before, it depends on the person. I’ve worked with commercial aquariums for about 2 years now, and because of all of the glass and rocks and things like that that I work with, and have scar tissue and calluses all over my hands. Because of that I have worked with and interacted with tens of different types anemones big and small (and HUGE) with my bare hands, without an issue. So it is completely up to your judgement to decide. But don’t feel inclined to handle them barehanded just because you can, if you are unsure (or if you are prone to finding out new allergies that you have that you didn’t know about before) than it couldn’t hurt to just put on a pair of gloves as a precaution.

Back