Hang on back filter vs skimmer?

gobylove

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I'm relatively new to the hobby and looking to improve my filtration. I have a 47 gallon bowfront without plumbing. I have lots of live rock, deep sand bed (for goby), two power heads and a hang on back filter. I have a nice group of smaller fish that are happy and a decent amount of ricordea/Yuma that are doing just fine.

I do feel like the filtration could be improved.

Do any of you use just a protein skimmer instead of hob filter? If so, which would you recommend? I need a small profile given space constraints. thanks

ahiggins

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use HOB skimmer with a filter sock on the return to mimick a mechanical filter but its not for "display" purposes LOL you could totally do both :)

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

USMC4Life

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

reefs+waves

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would just have lots of flow and a hob skimmer and just remove the hob filter because you need to clean it a lot to keep it from causing nutrient problems.

USMC4Life

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Florida Sunshine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used an AquaC Remora HOB skimmer on my 30g tank for years and it worked great.
I did also run a HOB filter on that tank as well but it was a pain to keep that from becoming a nitrate factory.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used an AquaC Remora HOB skimmer on my 30g tank for years and it worked great.
I did also run a HOB filter on that tank as well but it was a pain to keep that from becoming a nitrate factory.
Yea, a mechanical filter takes out a lot more particulates than a skimmer, So I had to rinse the sponge every month or at each water change.

J-West

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use both. A hob skimmer to do just that, skim. And a hob filter to catch larger floating particles and to hold any media i.e.: floss, Chemipure, de*nitrate, etc.

What size tank do you have ?

FishLover01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use both. A hob skimmer to do just that, skim. And a hob filter to catch larger floating particles and to hold any media i.e.: floss, Chemipure, de*nitrate, etc.
Glad to know that. I also use a HOB skimmer and a HOB filter. Do you run carbon in your filter?

Hyde2406

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did hob for years since I downgraded from 100+gallons down to 20. I've reformulated my plan a few times, I keep it fairly cheep and spend on coral and fish etc. I switched to a 40 gallon over a 20 long sump/refugium. I'm very very happy with a nice reef octopus skimmer, way oversized, an up flow scrubber from Santa Monica, and a pretty refugium. My parameters wouldn't stay low enough to keep me happy and I was running hob with chemi pure elite and purgin changed every 2/3 weeks but I had rocks that were 8/9 years old from my start tank that were given to me so who knows how old they really are .....since I've added the scrubber and skimmer in the sump parameters are awesome I can feed all I want and not worry about anything getting out of control. You can run it either way but I spend less time cleaning and paying for new chemicals. And my coral have gone crazy worth the changes I made. Good luck either way and enjoy the tank

Hyde2406

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn't like any of the hob skimmers I've tried but I had a cyclone 9 years ago and a hob red and black one coralife I think both crap, I would plumb your tank never look back

Maacc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can recommend the deltec hob or aquamaxx hob.

Back