Hanna Alk reagent issues

tcoyle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone have any issues with recent Hanna Alk reagents?

It seems the last 2 bottles I have purchased seem to test lower Alk when I get to about 1/4 of the bottle left. Start using a new bottle and my test show about a 3dkh difference higher then the 1/4 empty bottle.

ReefMadScientist

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never noticed an issue with my kH Hanna. I've had a few. Is yours expired? I know you said its new but check the date. I've seen a few LFS selling old testing kits.

OP
OP
tcoyle

tcoyle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
nope.. I go through about a bottle a month these days. Testing at least 3 times a week, some times more.

pelagic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They have changed the regent a while ago from what I heard. The old one would give you higher DKH readings.
There are might be other reasons

1. Shake it well before you use it, to ensure the solution is well mixed
2. Make sure the cap is closed tightly to prevent evaporation.
3. Make sure to clean the bottle after every use, plus, always have the 10ml mark face front (or same direction of your choose) when testing.

or you can get a calibration fluid to find out what's the issue. either the equipment or the solution.

OP
OP
tcoyle

tcoyle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great suggestions.. Its just ask odd. That it starts out high and then goes low as the bottle gets empty. Try a brand new bottle and its back up again.

bknapp

Has been left unattended
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe your alkalinity is unstable, have you tested twice at the same time? Have you fully automated your dosing yet? I know you only had one dosing pump at one time.

I would suggest testing it against another Hanna checker and seeing what they both say. If you want to bring a sample over I could test it with my checker and a different bottle of reagent against yours.

OP
OP
tcoyle

tcoyle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I have 2 dosers now. I know its not a stability issue as one day it was 7.5 with older reagent (1/4 way empty) then new reagent next day was 10dkh. With the older reagent it was stable at 7.5 for weeks.

I might do that Brandon.. Thanks!

bknapp

Has been left unattended
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is weird then. Have you contacted Hanna to ask for input/assistance? Maybe they have a solution.

hybridazn

Acro killer.....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you certain you are getting exactly 1ml of reagent in the syringe when the bottle gets low? I know a lot of times when I test low its because I dont get enough reagent in the syringe

OP
OP
tcoyle

tcoyle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is weird then. Have you contacted Hanna to ask for input/assistance? Maybe they have a solution.

That is my next play. To your original thought though. I have been battling my levels and not dosing complete equal parts as I was still using RSCP which has an elevated Calcium and Alk. I have since switched to 4:1 ratio of RSCP to regular RS. I knew something was up this week when I mixed up fresh salt with a 3:2 ratio and my ALK tested 7.2 which is not possible with RSCP that mixes up at 11 and RS that mixes up around 7.7.

Are you certain you are getting exactly 1ml of reagent in the syringe when the bottle gets low? I know a lot of times when I test low its because I dont get enough reagent in the syringe

Its possible, but with a 1/4 left it seems I have enough in the bottle, and appears to fill up the same amount in the syringe.

bknapp

Has been left unattended
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You need to remember water changes can only move your parameters so far. Also, do you roll your salt buckets prior to mixing? How long are you mixing for? You could be precipitating while you mix.

OP
OP
tcoyle

tcoyle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I understand that about water changes. I roll and shake my buckets well and mix for 2 hours like RS suggests.

pickupman66

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are supposed to roll and shake your salt bucket before making water? I didnt know this.

bknapp

Has been left unattended
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are supposed to roll and shake your salt bucket before making water? I didnt know this.

Don't shake just roll the bucket, helps to redistribute any particles that may be heavier than others and settle towards the bottom.

jgraz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great suggestions.. Its just ask odd. That it starts out high and then goes low as the bottle gets empty. Try a brand new bottle and its back up again.

I had same exact problem with my last bottle. Alk tested at 8 something then opened new bottle and got 11 something. Then I opened a second new bottle and it matched the other new bottle. Tried 1 more test with the old bottle and it matched the original 8 something.
Never followed it up but just for S&G I tried a API test and it roughly matched the new bottles.

OP
OP
tcoyle

tcoyle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had same exact problem with my last bottle. Alk tested at 8 something then opened new bottle and got 11 something. Then I opened a second new bottle and it matched the other new bottle. Tried 1 more test with the old bottle and it matched the original 8 something.
Never followed it up but just for S&G I tried a API test and it roughly matched the new bottles.

Sorry your having the same issue, but glad I'm not losing my mind. I have an email into them and I'll let you know if I find out anything. But from now on I guess I just toss it out when it gets down to 1/4 empty.

jgraz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry your having the same issue, but glad I'm not losing my mind. I have an email into them and I'll let you know if I find out anything. But from now on I guess I just toss it out when it gets down to 1/4 empty.

Yes please do let me know what they say. I've been meaning to contact them but just haven't gotten around to it.

WindeyD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got a Hanna alkalinity checker a few weeks ago and so far so good; let us know what you find out!

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 6 7.1%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 4.8%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 6.0%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 64 76.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 6.0%
Back