Hanna Ca Test. Using The Pipettor Incorrectly

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just discovered today that I was using the pipettor in the Hanna Ca test incorrectly. There are two stops as the plunger is pushed down, the first one to measure, the second one to eject the liquid. Here is the data.

When I push the plunger to the first stop and draw up a sample of RODI and then eject it, I measure 0.100 g or 100 microliters. When I push the plunger to the second stop and draw up a sample of RODI and then eject it, I measure 0.123 g or 123 microliters.

When I run the rest using one or the other pipette stop, I obtain 284 ppm Ca when I use the first stop to withdraw a tank water sample and 346 ppm when I use the second stop. The ratio of 346/284 is 1.22, essentially identical to the ratio of the above volumes 0.123/0.100.

I did not bother to look through the forum to see if this topic was discussed a million times already. Sorry if this is tiresome old news.

Hasted

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes. First stop is where you use to draw the tank water up. Second stop is a way to force out more air to ensure that you get all the tank water out. It is to increase accuracy.

Mikeneedsahobby

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for this. I’m pretty sure I have been doing this wrong.

Figuring out the why: Has your primary reason(s) for keeping a saltwater aquarium changed over time?

• My reasons for reef keeping have changed dramatically.

Votes: 4 7.7%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have somewhat evolved.

Votes: 20 38.5%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have no changed.

Votes: 27 51.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.9%
Back