Hanna Checkers - anyone else notice?

ckalupa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been using these checkers for several months - Alk, phos, copper, nitrite (doing test with others on another thread), calcium. Several things I have noticed - curious if others have or if this indicates something?

1- This one will vary - warm up time?: Sometimes the initial reading check step that goes between C1 to C2 is very fast. Other times it seems like this step can take upwards of 30 second. Still get a final reading that meets the “sanity check” so I suspect it is working normally. I wipe the curevette before it goes in every time with a microfiber so I know its not fingerprints.

2- This is specific to the copper and phosphorous where there is a count-down time. At times when pressed it will go right into the analyzing cycle rather than the 45 second (Cu) or 3:00 (Phos) timing sequence - even while still holding the button in (a simple press would set it into the analyze mode as one can do the wait outside of the chamber if they choose also.

3- lastly - anyone using the Hanna Curvette cleaning solution? Is it worth the investment?

Would be nice to be able to “recall” the last reading for these also - sometimes I walk away doing another test only to come back and see that it displayed and already timed-out and shut down. This would be a “wish list” update to the firmware (which we can not do anyhow).

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been using these checkers for several months - Alk, phos, copper, nitrite (doing test with others on another thread), calcium. Several things I have noticed - curious if others have or if this indicates something?

1- This one will vary - warm up time?: Sometimes the initial reading check step that goes between C1 to C2 is very fast. Other times it seems like this step can take upwards of 30 second. Still get a final reading that meets the “sanity check” so I suspect it is working normally. I wipe the curevette before it goes in every time with a microfiber so I know its not fingerprints.

2- This is specific to the copper and phosphorous where there is a count-down time. At times when pressed it will go right into the analyzing cycle rather than the 45 second (Cu) or 3:00 (Phos) timing sequence - even while still holding the button in (a simple press would set it into the analyze mode as one can do the wait outside of the chamber if they choose also.

3- lastly - anyone using the Hanna Curvette cleaning solution? Is it worth the investment?

Would be nice to be able to “recall” the last reading for these also - sometimes I walk away doing another test only to come back and see that it displayed and already timed-out and shut down. This would be a “wish list” update to the firmware (which we can not do anyhow).
1) my copper checker sometimes won’t go to C1 very quickly, requiring me to reset it (turn off and back on) is that what you’re saying?

2) after C1 you have to hold the button until the countdown starts. When I do this I’ve had no issue. If you quickly press and release it gives a less accurate reading immediately.

3) I have not but I’m sure it’s good stuff

Last edited:
OP
OP
ckalupa

ckalupa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya- that is actually what I meant. The time from “ready” to “C1” can vary. I misspoke - usually once C1 is on - the test time between C1 and C2 is the same. Thanks for helping me clarify that (coffee not kicked in yet :). )

OP
OP
ckalupa

ckalupa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And yes - I press the button the same way but on occasion (moreso lately) they seem to go right into analyzing as opposed to the count down while still holding the button. Not every time and both checkers can do it. Maybe it is me? I just fill another for the C1 and run it again so I dont lose the test either way.

I imagine the cleaner is great stuff - never thought to buy it yet though

DarkSky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Regarding the timer, the laminated card says to either press and hold for the timer or wait N minutes and then press the button, so it allows you to keep the vial outside of the unit during the reaction time if you prefer.

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have noticed the C1 to C2 delay. I have caulked it up to some of the curvettes not being optical clear. Seems to happen when I use curvettes that are not perfectly flat on the bottom.
I dont use the cleaning solution. My tap water is 8 TDS and when the curvettes are dry they are spot free.

OP
OP
ckalupa

ckalupa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@DarkSky I agree - I think I am doing it the same way every time - it is just on occasion (and moreso the Phos checker) the instrument will go right into analyzing even while I am still holding in the button in to initiate the countdown.

Maybe I have a marginally defective button on the phos checker?

RobZilla04

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

1 - Yes occasionally the checker is inconsistent with startup & reading times. Just don't disturb while in process.

2 - Press and hold per the Phosphorus ULR when going from C1 to C2 to start the countdown timer.

3 - If you're cleaning the cuvettes properly (RODI rinse & either dry with a clean soft paper towel or cloth) there shouldn't be a need for the solution.

A couple of tips that I've found useful to ensure accuracy/consistency of readings are:

Place the cuvette into the meter the same way each time. For example, place the 10ml mark toward you each and every time.
Clean and place the cuvette top end down to allow excess water to drain and not accumulate at the bottom.
Specifically if you find yourself having trouble dissolving all of the powder reagent in time before the meter auto shutdown, use two cuvettes. Fill to the same level and mix the reagents into cuvette 2 before beginning the test. That'll give you time to completely mix the reagent.
Ensure all of the powder reagent from the packets make it into the cuvette. Sometimes this takes nearly completely opening the packet on three sides.
Try as best you can to perform the tests the same each and every time.

OP
OP
ckalupa

ckalupa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I get how to have the countdown timer work - had no issues in the past. It is a more recent thing where as it is being held it goes straight into reading the curvette as opposed to initiating the countdown timer. While still holding the button in for the counter.

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On mine, I kinda have to press and hold the button pretty hard until I see the 3:00 timer pop up.
Maybe take out the battery and see if it resets something. Thats all I got.

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Great observations!

The C1 to C2 time is when the device is determining the absorbance of the blank. I also noticed that this time varies in most Checkers. Possibly, getting a stable reading is subject to factors we are not aware of. I imagine at the most sensitive range of the Checker, getting a 0 reading might require a longer settling time.

I found the buttons on the Checkers to respond well but there have been times when the count down timer did not engage. This mostly happens on my well used Phosphorous Checker, though sometimes I have to blame my lack attention.

A measurement recall would be nice or WiFi or Bluetooth connection to a device.

Geebs19

Give me all the Euphyllia
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine also varies on when I first use it and the loading time to start. I’ve only had it not start the countdown once.

What Rim on a Tank Suits You? (Choose All That Apply)

• Rimless

Votes: 55 47.0%
  • Full frame

Votes: 23 19.7%
  • Euro Brace

Votes: 44 37.6%
  • All of the above

Votes: 22 18.8%
  • Other (Please explain)

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back