Hanna copper checker

PeterEde

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm treating fish in copper. I have some cupramine which I believe is now banned in Australia.
Question.
Is the Hanna checker reliable/accurate with cupramine?
I'm reading conflicting reports.
I tested My qt at .25ppm.

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have used mine with cupramine previously, didn't think much as to whether they would work together and i didn't have any issues. It came recommended in a bundle from my LFS here in the UK.

I have since then changed to copper power as it is just easier to find proper guidance on given that most of the American community is using this.

Is copper power available in Australia? It's not readily available here, I have to bring it home with me when I am in America.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I'm treating fish in copper. I have some cupramine which I believe is now banned in Australia.
Question.
Its more accurate with coppersafe and copper power. Copper power is available in Australia

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question.

The trouble is that Hanna is not clear on their information. The Hanna HR checker spec sheet says "for freshwater and seawater aquariums". The Hanna LR tester (a better range for Cupramine) says "for freshwater aquariums". The implication was that the LR tester should not be used in marine aquariums.

Based on the range of the two meters though, the Hanna LR meter should be used for Cupramine and other ionic coppers, while the Hanna HR should be used on coppersafe or copper power - amine chelated copper.

Jay

OP
OP
PeterEde

PeterEde

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The trouble is that Hanna is not clear on their information. The Hanna HR checker spec sheet says "for freshwater and seawater aquariums". The Hanna LR tester (a better range for Cupramine) says "for freshwater aquariums". The implication was that the LR tester should not be used in marine aquariums.

Based on the range of the two meters though, the Hanna LR meter should be used for Cupramine and other ionic coppers, while the Hanna HR should be used on coppersafe or copper power - amine chelated copper.

Jay
So unless I can get chelated copper I wasted my money.
Or is oodonex chelated?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So unless I can get chelated copper I wasted my money.
Or is oodonex chelated?
eSha Oodinex is copper free, right?

I’m not saying the test won’t work, just that the Hanna company’s literature leaves some questions in my mind.

Jay

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Similar to cupramine?
Could be, but knowing the Cu content of the bottle is only half of the equation - the other part is the dilution and “as delivered” dose. Aminacrine is a dye and is not found in Cupramine or coppersafe.

I think there are two products with a similar name. My formulary shows one product with no copper in it, but decades ago, I remember a product of the same name that had copper in it.

Jay

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 27 15.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 101 57.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.8%
Back