Hanna HI718 (Iodine) Precipitating?

Siberwulf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all,

I've just picked up the Hanna HI718 Test. I know my Iodine is way low, so I'm expecting some low readings before I dose it up. When I de the test, I saw a 0.0 which seemed..fishy.

After looking at the cuvette, it looks like the powder has precipitated to the bottom and I'm sure that's not right. I've shaken it a little more violently trying to get it to dissolve, but it totally isn't dissolving.

Has anyone had this issue and how did you overcome it?

OP
OP
Siberwulf

Siberwulf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wrong test.

It does not detect the forms present in seawater.

There is no checker for seawater iodide and iodate.
So Chemistry noobie here. Triton said I had low Iodine. (9.00 µg/l when I wanted 30 - 90µg/l). I picked up some Potassium Iodate to help boost it (maybe this was the wrong product if I'm trying to jump up Iodine).

I guess I'm still confused on Iodine vs Iodate. I thought I was testing Iodine because I had low Iodine. :-/

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So Chemistry noobie here. Triton said I had low Iodine. (9.00 µg/l when I wanted 30 - 90µg/l). I picked up some Potassium Iodate to help boost it (maybe this was the wrong product if I'm trying to jump up Iodine).

I guess I'm still confused on Iodine vs Iodate. I thought I was testing Iodine because I had low Iodine. :-/

Iodine is the generic name for the iodine atom, I.

it can come in many forms.

The form tested by that checker is I2, used like chlorine (Cl2) to sterilize water in pools and spas:

"The HI718 Checker® HC (Handheld Colorimeter) provides a simple, accurate and cost effective way to measure iodine. Introduced as an alternative to chlorine, iodine as a sanitizer decreases eye irritation in pools and saps and provides a more stable level of disinfection in adverse conditions.

"

That is not the form present in seawater,

Iodide (I-) and iodate (IO3-) are the forms present in seawater.

This explains these issues in more detail:

OP
OP
Siberwulf

Siberwulf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Iodine is the generic name for the iodine atom, I.

it can come in many forms.

The form tested by that checker is I2, used like chlorine (Cl2) to sterilize water in pools and spas:

"The HI718 Checker® HC (Handheld Colorimeter) provides a simple, accurate and cost effective way to measure iodine. Introduced as an alternative to chlorine, iodine as a sanitizer decreases eye irritation in pools and saps and provides a more stable level of disinfection in adverse conditions.

"

That is not the form present in seawater,

Iodide (I-) and iodate (IO3-) are the forms present in seawater.

This explains these issues in more detail:

That helps!

So, dosing Iodide is risky at best, since there's no way to measure (and measure what you dose). Same goes for Iodine?

I don't have any pure herbivore fish, so it looks like the food I'm dropping in won't be the best source.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That helps!

So, dosing Iodide is risky at best, since there's no way to measure (and measure what you dose). Same goes for Iodine?

I don't have any pure herbivore fish, so it looks like the food I'm dropping in won't be the best source.

There are kits to measure it in seawater, and it often depletes fairly fast since algae and other organisms take it up. Lots of folks dose it. I did for years and stopped and did not see a difference, but many folks think it useful for their tanks.

OP
OP
Siberwulf

Siberwulf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are kits to measure it in seawater, and it often depletes fairly fast since algae and other organisms take it up. Lots of folks dose it. I did for years and stopped and did not see a difference, but many folks think it useful for their tanks.
Do you have one that you recommend over others?

OP
OP
Siberwulf

Siberwulf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok! Update time!

I snagged the Salifert test. Ran it yesterday AM, no reading in both Iodide and Iodate/Iodine. I dosed 4ml of ESV B-Ionic Iodide (it says 1ml/20gal, and I didn't want to OD it). Tested again this morning and Iodide, Iodate and Iodine are still zero. I'm anxious to dose again, as it says to do that dosing weekly.

Am I missing something silly?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok! Update time!

I snagged the Salifert test. Ran it yesterday AM, no reading in both Iodide and Iodate/Iodine. I dosed 4ml of ESV B-Ionic Iodide (it says 1ml/20gal, and I didn't want to OD it). Tested again this morning and Iodide, Iodate and Iodine are still zero. I'm anxious to dose again, as it says to do that dosing weekly.

Am I missing something silly?

I would test 10-30 min after dosing to see if the kit detects what you dosed. :)

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 55 32.5%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 45 26.6%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 35 20.7%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 32 18.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.2%
Back