Hanna low range reagents used on Ultra low checker

wagadodo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

I have an Ultra Low hanna phosphate checker but bought the incorrect reagent. Instead of getting the ultra low reagent I got the low range reagent by mistake. Do you know if you can still get an accurate reading using the low range reagents on the ultra low checker?

Thanks!

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally I would question every reading and it would drive me nuts not knowing if the reading was accurate. I would bite the bullet and get the correct regeant.

crazyfishmom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If they are the same I wonder why Hanna does not combine them to one sku
All brands do this to “diversify” their brand. The concentrations of the reagent may be slightly higher but they come in excess in the package either way and the reaction happening as a result of the presence of phosphate in the sample is what matters and is the rate limiting reagent/step in the reaction. They both use the ascorbic acid method for phosphate detection. There will not be a difference at all.

KStatefan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All brands do this to “diversify” their brand. The concentrations of the reagent may be slightly higher but they come in excess in the package either way and the reaction happening as a result of the presence of phosphate in the sample is what matters and is the rate limiting reagent/step in the reaction. They both use the ascorbic acid method for phosphate detection. There will not be a difference at all.

Ok just seems it would be easier for everybody to have one sku

crazyfishmom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Ok just seems it would be easier for everybody to have one sku
100% but in this case they’re adding more of the powder to the low range compared to the ultra low. They don’t change anything and the actual reaction and endpoints are exactly the same. It’s marketing and reducing waste.

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you know if you can still get an accurate reading using the low range reagents on the ultra low checker?

I did this exact thing. Result were exactly the same.
Results will indeed be very close. At extremes there might be small differences. A low range and ultra low range checker can act a little different very near zero. and the high range reagent may give you slightly more consistent linear results for higher PO4 values.
But overall, yes expect them to work almost interchangeably.

If they are the same I wonder why Hanna does not combine them to one sku
It's almost no cost to hanna to have another product - same colorimeter, different coding, and consumers are likelier to enjoy the idea that there are multiple ranges and one product that perfectly fits their needs.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 31 27.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 37 32.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 35 30.7%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back