Hard Wiring a HTPC with the Apex on one Cat 5, doable??

lemonyx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 30' run for a Cat 5 cable that runs from our Comcast router SMCD3GNV in my office to our HTPC in the living room. Can I some how hook up the Apex using that same cable and what would I need? I already have a Cat 5 cable from the Apex routed to the HTPC.

Not both would be accessed at the same time

So would this work for what I need or would this be better?

Not too technically inclined :tongue:

TIA

Last edited:

Stoneyj33

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You would need a crossover cat5 cable to share your internet connection via cat5. I'm not sure I've this is to share your Internet connection or access the apex information via CPU.

OP
OP
lemonyx

lemonyx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, where would I need the crossover Cat 5 cable at?

Just want to connect the HTPC and the Apex on the one Cat 5 to share movies off the PC in the office and program from there as well

Legion Aire

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I could be wrong, because I might not be fully understanding your question. You have a Cat 5 type wire running from your HTCP to your main network, internet/office pc, and now you would also like to connect your apex into the same network? I would think the easiest way to do this would be to purchase a cheap router and use this as a branch to tie in all the devices into one network.

Hope this helps

Stoneyj33

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I could be wrong, because I might not be fully understanding your question. You have a Cat 5 type wire running from your HTCP to your main network, internet/office pc, and now you would also like to connect your apex into the same network? I would think the easiest way to do this would be to purchase a cheap router and use this as a branch to tie in all the devices into one network.

Hope this helps

+1

I read it and assumed the Internet was connected via wifi and wanted to share that connection through the cat5...

OP
OP
lemonyx

lemonyx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got it hooked up thru a 100' Cat 5e cable. Had a problem with communication between the PC and the Apex, but just rebooted the Apex and i can get into it to program. So much easier to do that on the PC.

Now the problem, I have two PH's and a return pump all three have to be set on manual - on to work. IF set to auto, nothing. So what do I need to program it with so the pumps will work in auto?
Clipboard02.jpg

CJO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure what that programming is for, but that outlet should be on unless you are running one of the feeding programs.

CJ

OP
OP
lemonyx

lemonyx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have to continually reboot the Apex unit to be able to see it on the PC thru the Comcast router
Clipboard02.jpg

The 10.0.0.5 is the Apex

Attachments

• Clipboard04.jpg
    Clipboard04.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 135
Last edited:

CJO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally, I wouldn't use a crossover cable. The first switch to which you linked is cheap and is perfect for this application.

CJ

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 41 45.1%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 29 31.9%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 15 16.5%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 5 5.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%
Back