Has anyone had an emerald crab clamp down on your favorite chalice?

CHALICEKEEPER

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My emerald crab clamped down on my tyree bgm in like 3 spots did not know they liked chalice meat. He is out of the tank now for sure $5 dollars to $1000 does not compare.

OP
OP
CHALICEKEEPER

CHALICEKEEPER

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
HERE IS A PIC OF THE DAMAGE 3 SPOTS
REEFTANK10-1.jpg

sexycorals

Bringing Sexy BACK!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
mine took a chuck of my original mummy eye and my pink *******... hahhaha tore down the tank and took his butt out felt good what i did to him.. =)

Acroholic

There is no substitute.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Doesn't look like that big a deal to me, but you need to do what you are comfortable with. I have several in my chalice tank, and none have expressed interest in them outside of moving the smaller ones sometimes to get at the stuff growing on the plugs. My BGM is about 2.5 inches across and my emeralds don't pay it any mind.
Dave

tekken

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Doesn't look like that big a deal to me, but you need to do what you are comfortable with. I have several in my chalice tank, and none have expressed interest in them outside of moving the smaller ones sometimes to get at the stuff growing on the plugs. My BGM is about 2.5 inches across and my emeralds don't pay it any mind.
Dave

My didn't pay attention to my corals either for about a year... then one day, it started getting curious i guess and i suddently found them clipping away... it will happen sooner or later. They are cool, but I'm gonna stay away from them for future reef tanks

H@rry

Troll
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had them several times over the years to try to get rid of bubble algae. I would see them picking at rocks but I never saw them bothering the bubbles. Never saw that they were harming the corals though. Every time I've had them they just seem to eventually disappear.

From what I understand "Emerald Crab" is a somewhat generic name given to several species of Mithrax crabs, some of which have been known to eat bubble algae. I've just given up on them. The only times I ever got to see them was at night with a flashlight.

starfish

Starfish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No true crab can ever be considered reef safe. They are pickers and pullers and scavangers by nature. They can destroy or damage good stuff while trying to get at algae ect.....

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 98 44.3%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 74 33.5%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 35 15.8%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 12 5.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 0.9%
Back