Has Anyone Used Seachem Metroplex and Focus to Treat Internal Parasites?!!

Jaybella8

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I purchased a 5 inch Mappa Puffer and he's looking a little on the slim side so I'm scared he has internal parasites since its very common amongst these type of puffers. I got some Seachem Metroplex and Focus to treat him like that instead of treating the whole tank. Has anyone tried this? What was the best way to mix it in with food? And as far as internal parasites or deworming, how do you know they are all out? Do you see it come out with their poop? LOl

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I purchased a 5 inch Mappa Puffer and he's looking a little on the slim side so I'm scared he has internal parasites since its very common amongst these type of puffers. I got some Seachem Metroplex and Focus to treat him like that instead of treating the whole tank. Has anyone tried this? What was the best way to mix it in with food? And as far as internal parasites or deworming, how do you know they are all out? Do you see it come out with their poop? LOl

Yes. Using metroplex and focus in the food is a very common (and even preferred) way to treat for intestinal parasites. I wouldn't start treatment until you have confirmed their presence though. Look at his poop. If he has intestinal parasites his poop will be white and stringy. You'll want to let all the fish eat the medicated food if you spot the white poop since the other fish are likely to eat his poop and contract the parasites as well.

1 scoop metroplex, 1 scoop focus, 1 tablespoon frozen food. Let it sit for 20 minutes to soak and feed that 1 to 2 times a day for a minimum of 10 days.

Phlynamjax

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use API general cure (Similar to metroplex + Prazi) + Focus + Mysis shrimp. I feed all my new fish for 3 weeks in the QT along with other treatments. Never had an issue.

Eggpaul

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes. Using metroplex and focus in the food is a very common (and even preferred) way to treat for intestinal parasites. I wouldn't start treatment until you have confirmed their presence though. Look at his poop. If he has intestinal parasites his poop will be white and stringy. You'll want to let all the fish eat the medicated food if you spot the white poop since the other fish are likely to eat his poop and contract the parasites as well.

1 scoop metroplex, 1 scoop focus, 1 tablespoon frozen food. Let it sit for 20 minutes to soak and feed that 1 to 2 times a day for a minimum of 10 days.

Instructions say 5 scoops of focus. Why only 1 scoop?

Bayareareefer18

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Metroplex is a combo of two meds. You are better off dosing independently at full strength for better results

Not to mention that tiny little bottle comes like 1/4 full

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with others, metro is a better choice for internal parasite treatment.

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Metroplex is a combo of two meds. You are better off dosing independently at full strength for better results

Not to mention that tiny little bottle comes like 1/4 full

The meds are much more effective mixed in with food for treating internal parasites/worms.

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That I agree with. But why not dose pure metro

Metronidazole?
Is it easily obtained? In it's pure form? If so, I have never looked into it. I have always just used Metroplex.

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That I agree with. But why not dose pure metro
Because it doesn’t impact the internal parasites nearly as much without being fed.

Focus binds the medication to the food so it doesn’t immediately leach.

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I get that. Yes metro is better fed. Not doubting the combo with focus. Talking metroplex vs metro

Hah! I'm lost now. I misunderstood. I use metro short for metroplex.

Bayareareefer18

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hah! I'm lost now. I misunderstood. I use metro short for metroplex.
Metronizadole is the active med along with another that escapes me. Metroplex is a mix of the two but it's always been my understanding that it's in lower doses than if you dosed the two meds independently.

Manthanol

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In humans, metronidazole is an antibiotic used for treating protozoan and bacterial infections in the gut and also other parts of the body same as in fish. According to Seachem, Metroplex is 70% pure(how pure? Hard to tell, it is not labeled USP) and 30% excipients(fillers, inactive). API QC has metro and prazi mixed together and can also treat internal parasites.

Charles burns

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would like some info on metro plex ...can I use,with focus?? Is,it alright to run skimmer while I use these two products...is,it normal for a fungal disease to move to an eye??everyone looks healthy and eating good except for his eye n spot on fins.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 27.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 36 32.4%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 35 31.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 7 6.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back