Have a few little Aiptasia in my nano reef what’s the best method for a nano reef tank

notthatkindareefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I have a nano tank and about three tiny aiptasia. Some are in areas I just can’t get to without removing the live rock which is all glued together with frags on it (one is on a frag plug). LFS never have nudis so that’s not an option. Is my only option peppermint shrimp, considering I can’t reach the other aiptasia to use chemical or hot water methods.

OP
OP
N

notthatkindareefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had gotten something off Amazon that might help.

Joe`s Juice Aiptasia Eliminator 20 mL https://a.co/d/eriUXzW
I would use some kind of method such as this, it’s just one of them is behind a large piece of live rock that I can’t really move. Thanks though. I may just try that and pull the rock for a quick few seconds!

Upvote 0

jhadaway

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1 ora peppermint cleared my 5.5 pico in a week. Never saw him after i put it in the tank. 3 of them in my 100.3 gallon, nothing yet. Everything other method just makes them angry and the multiply. The are the devil. Dont wait.

Upvote 0

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I have a nano tank and about three tiny aiptasia. Some are in areas I just can’t get to without removing the live rock which is all glued together with frags on it (one is on a frag plug). LFS never have nudis so that’s not an option. Is my only option peppermint shrimp, considering I can’t reach the other aiptasia to use chemical or hot water methods.
Reef Town, Dinkins Aquatics and Tidal Gardens sell and ship Berghia nudibranchs.

Upvote 0

wculver

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1 ora peppermint cleared my 5.5 pico in a week. Never saw him after i put it in the tank. 3 of them in my 100.3 gallon, nothing yet. Everything other method just makes them angry and the multiply. The are the devil. Dont wait.
This is my suggestion as well. The Aptasia are a type of anemone and with stress it causes them to multiply/split. So what I mean to say here is that if you try a manual method I would be selective on using it until you're sure your method had the intedned outcome.

Upvote 0

juanroseco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Sodium Hydroxide Solution, 2.0M​

I have used a plethora of concoctions sold by BRS, LFS, etc, and even stuff suggested by much more experienced aquarist. But the only ‘permanent’ solution for me, has been the Sodium Hydroxide Solution, 2.0M. I use a syringe and slowly inject the Aiptasia until it melts away. I use different lengths of syringes- found in Amazon- to get hard to reach areas.
Once they are in your tank it’s almost impossible to get rid of them, but this inexpensive chemical has been the best and easiest solution for me. Best wishes on your battle.

Upvote 0

Cichlid Dad

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Be careful with a peppermint shrimp. I've heard of them going after corals. I don't have any experience with one, but I wanted to let you know just to be safe.
I took the 6 peppermints over to my fowlr tank and showed them the luner wrasse. Then we had a firm talk about where they could end up if there were any foul play. They promised me they would be good, so far haven't had any issues. Fingers crossed. No coral damage .

Upvote 0

Narideth

Fishaholic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Peppermint shrimp will never go in my tanks again. They decimated the blasto I put in, however I've heard this is maybe an isolated case? I wish you luck though, all of the comments saying don't wait, take them to heart. Do what you have to do now.

Upvote 0

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I took the 6 peppermints over to my fowlr tank and showed them the luner wrasse. Then we had a firm talk about where they could end up if there were any foul play. They promised me they would be good, so far haven't had any issues. Fingers crossed. No coral damage .
So they aren’t swimming with the fishes?

Upvote 0

Cichlid Dad

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So they aren’t swimming with the fishes?

They are happy hiding in the rocks of my reef tank full of coral and nice fishes. And no more aptaisia. Secret is to feed the tank shrimp pellets when the lights are off.

Upvote 0

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are happy hiding in the rocks of my reef tank full of coral and nice fishes. And no more aptaisia. Secret is to feed the tank shrimp pellets when the lights are off.
That was my attempt at humor, it was a mafia quote! You sounded like you were threatening them, lol.

Upvote 0

VP616

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@notthatkindareefer Have you looked into Frank's F-Aiptasia? Comes with a syringe and a curved and straight application tip for hard-to-reach areas. Had great success with using this in a nano-tank before and didn't affect water chemistry at all (possibly a slightly elevated Alk, but other than that, definitely killed the aiptasia).

Upvote 0

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Keep it simple. . . . Using a syringe or pipette, inject either lemon juice or better yet. . kalkwasser powder mixed with tank water into a paste the consistency of toothpaste and inject into the very center core and it will melt away

Upvote 0

thh9227

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a peppermint shrimp and he got rid of the Aiptasia in one day. I’ve never had a problem since. He’s never messed with any of my corals. He pretty much keeps to himself. I have a nano tank by the way ( fluval13.5 gallons).

Upvote 1

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
kalkwasser and r.o water has worked the best for me haven't used anything else after the success with it.

kill the flow and make a thick paste in a syringe with a large diameter, try to slowly squeeze out the paste it will drop onto the aiptasia and you will see it stick to it, it won't move but it will melt away. it's instant then use a small tube or airline and suck out the dead parts and the kalkwasser. whatever you don't get won't hurt.

Upvote 0

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 31 16.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 13.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 113 58.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.2%
Back