Have you ever seen a tang chase a blenny???

Adamantium

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m having the weirdest issue. I have a well established orange-striped bristletooth tang, and I got a starry blenny a few days ago.

The tang is relentlessly, and aggressively, chasing the blenny into the rock work! Totally unexpected.

I’m going to try the mirror trick for a few days. Does anyone have any other ideas?

OP
OP
Adamantium

Adamantium

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My flamefin always goes after poor blenny. Blenny usually freezes then tang goes away. Something about blenny they just can’t stand, seem to be ongoing chase & hide game.
That’s wild! So unexpected. The tang might have to go. I’m really not that attached. He was sold to me as a white tail, but he definitely isn’t.

mort

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's specific tangs and blennies that are more of an issue. The reason you have a problem is you have a bristletooth tang and a salarias blenny. Both these species are detrivores so the tang sees it as competition for food, I've seen it the other way around when the blenny outsized the tang as well. If you had a zebrasoma and starry it would likely be easier, it's just the conflict for specific diet that's the issue.
It's a tricky one as there is a fair chance it won't end well. Some get away with it in very large tanks, some fish calm down when they realise other food is added to the tank but others just kill eat other I'm afraid.

OP
OP
Adamantium

Adamantium

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's specific tangs and blennies that are more of an issue. The reason you have a problem is you have a bristletooth tang and a salarias blenny. Both these species are detrivores so the tang sees it as competition for food, I've seen it the other way around when the blenny outsized the tang as well. If you had a zebrasoma and starry it would likely be easier, it's just the conflict for specific diet that's the issue.
It's a tricky one as there is a fair chance it won't end well. Some get away with it in very large tanks, some fish calm down when they realise other food is added to the tank but others just kill eat other I'm afraid.
Thank you for the further insight. That’s fascinating. I thought issues generally only cropped up with similar body shapes.

I think I’ll be trapping, and bringing the tang back. He’s not what I had been sold in the first place, anyway. Thanks so much.

mort

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Food is the biggest reason for fish aggression. It's why powder blues are so aggressive, they regularly have to defend their food source from groups of other tangs, damsels are similar as often the other fish trying to steal their food are much larger.

AquaticOttawa

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a blue hippo Tang that will, on occasion, get into the space of my lawnmower blenny, usually when he is eating algae off the glass. It's never an outright attack though, as the blenny will stop what he is doing and find cover.

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree with Mort. My bristletooth always chases my lawnmower blenny. They both have the same diet so the tang chases it all the time. But they’ve lived together for a long time and the blenny goes on.

OP
OP
Adamantium

Adamantium

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Greeeeeeeat

I brought the bristletooth tang back to the LFS, but now that the starry blenny is out and about, he’s aggressively chasing my spotted mandarin.

This SUCKS. Apparently, I’m really bad at this.

OP
OP
Adamantium

Adamantium

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone have any guidance? I’m so upset with myself for not thinking this could happen. I can’t lose my mandarin. He’s amazing, and eats prepared foods.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m having the weirdest issue. I have a well established orange-striped bristletooth tang, and I got a starry blenny a few days ago.

The tang is relentlessly, and aggressively, chasing the blenny into the rock work! Totally unexpected.

I’m going to try the mirror trick for a few days. Does anyone have any other ideas?

it is a fairly common occurrence. They both eat algae and the Tang isn’t a fan of that.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Greeeeeeeat

I brought the bristletooth tang back to the LFS, but now that the starry blenny is out and about, he’s aggressively chasing my spotted mandarin.

This SUCKS. Apparently, I’m really bad at this.

Starrys can also have a big attitude as they like their territory.

What size is the tank? Maybe they don’t feel there is enough hiding spots and territory.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ugh, that’s so upsetting. It’s a 75.

If things don’t calm down. A tail spot should work. They can be boisterous but are smaller and that is certainly a I large enough tank.

Fish are individuals and what works for one tank sometimes does not work in the next!

OP
OP
Adamantium

Adamantium

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. I’m really hoping they calm down. The blenny is gonna be a paiiiin to trap since he doesn’t really feed from the water column much.

Has anybody here got experience with this?

mort

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I must admit I've never come across an issue between blennies and mandarins. I'd be surprised if it went further than the blenny pushing the mandarin out of its new territory. I also think they will likely ignore each other pretty quickly, at least I hope that's the case.

OP
OP
Adamantium

Adamantium

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I must admit I've never come across an issue between blennies and mandarins. I'd be surprised if it went further than the blenny pushing the mandarin out of its new territory. I also think they will likely ignore each other pretty quickly, at least I hope that's the case.
The blenny was getting quite aggressive. Definitely more than just keeping him out of an area. He was looking for him all over the tank, and would really latch onto him when he found him. Not just push him.

I’m amazed, but I actually caught the blenny, and will be bringing him to the LFS today. Finally, there will be peace in the tank.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 19 14.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 21 15.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 76 56.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.7%
Back