Having trouble keeping zoas and shroomies

Millsaps2378

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all! I have been having some issues with keeping zoas and mushroom's in my tank. LPS and SPS seem to be doing great but I have tried multiple different kinds of zoas and mushroom's with no luck. Typically they will look great for about a month then the mushrooms shrivel up and let go of the rock they are on then just fly around the tank and zoas do great for about a month as well then slowly shrink and then shrivel away. I've only found 1 type of zoa that has been doing fine for about 3 -4 moths now but haven't seen much growth out of it and I'm not sure what type it is. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong since almost every other coral does great. I usually try to put them in med light and med flow areas. Tank has been running for almost 2 years now
Parameters:
salinity: 1.025
Temp: 76-77
Alk: 11
Calc: 430
Nitrate: 16ppm

Lights:
2 reef breeders NANO LED

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Phosphate level? What are the dimensions of that tank? What test kits?

Cichlid Dad

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all! I have been having some issues with keeping zoas and mushroom's in my tank. LPS and SPS seem to be doing great but I have tried multiple different kinds of zoas and mushroom's with no luck. Typically they will look great for about a month then the mushrooms shrivel up and let go of the rock they are on then just fly around the tank and zoas do great for about a month as well then slowly shrink and then shrivel away. I've only found 1 type of zoa that has been doing fine for about 3 -4 moths now but haven't seen much growth out of it and I'm not sure what type it is. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong since almost every other coral does great. I usually try to put them in med light and med flow areas. Tank has been running for almost 2 years now
Parameters:
salinity: 1.025
Temp: 76-77
Alk: 11
Calc: 430
Nitrate: 16ppm

Lights:
2 reef breeders NANO LED
Mag level, water change schedule, where are you getting your water. Pic would help. How are you moving water. I would run alk at 9.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Millsaps2378

Millsaps2378

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mag level, water change schedule, where are you getting your water. Pic would help. How are you moving water.
Mag was around 1400ppm when i checked it last week. I use tap water with prime but hasn't ever caused any issues with any other corals. We have very clean tap water here and i've done multiple tests on them and never found anything bad in it. I unfortunately don't have any pics of the dying corals and i move the water by 5g buckets

Cichlid Dad

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mag was around 1400ppm when i checked it last week. I use tap water with prime but hasn't ever caused any issues with any other corals. We have very clean tap water here and i've done multiple tests on them and never found anything bad in it. I unfortunately don't have any pics of the dying corals and i move the water by 5g buckets
This is my take, your light I not strong enough. No matter how clean our tap water is, rodi is needed for a reef tank. Your lights are for a nano tank with low light coral. 30 watts each . Two 60 watt lights would work better for you.

OP
OP
Millsaps2378

Millsaps2378

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is my take, your light I not strong enough. No matter how clean our tap water is, rodi is needed for a reef tank. Your lights are for a nano tank with low light coral. 30 watts each . Two 60 watt lights would work better for
My LFS has these lights on multiple show tanks that grow all kinds of corals. If not enough light was the issue wouldn't the zoas be reaching for light instead and the mushrooms stay expanded to get as much light as possible instead of shriveling up? I have all kinds of other corals including LPS and SPS that have done great with no issues and a leather that has done great also. Also, i have used tap water for 2 years now with no issue. Not saying this couldn't be the issue but how does everything else do fine but zoas and mushrooms die when those are supposed to be the "hardier" corals?

Cichlid Dad

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My LFS has these lights on multiple show tanks that grow all kinds of corals. If not enough light was the issue wouldn't the zoas be reaching for light instead and the mushrooms stay expanded to get as much light as possible instead of shriveling up? I have all kinds of other corals including LPS and SPS that have done great with no issues and a leather that has done great also. Also, i have used tap water for 2 years now with no issue. Not saying this couldn't be the issue but how does everything else do fine but zoas and mushrooms die when those are supposed to be the "hardier" corals?
Like I said, it was my take, I'm running a 75 gallon with zoa's taking 190 200 par spreading like hotcakes and loving life some of those same zoa's were in my wife's 20 gallon with a 60 watt light and were not doing well. Again that was my take on your situation.

OP
OP
Millsaps2378

Millsaps2378

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like I said, it was my take, I'm running a 75 gallon with zoa's taking 190 200 par spreading like hotcakes and loving life some of those same zoa's were in my wife's 20 gallon with a 60 watt light and were not doing well. Again that was my take on your situation.
Gotcha! Thanks for the feedback.

OP
OP
Millsaps2378

Millsaps2378

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alk too high. Ive noticed when i ran my display at 10.5-11 alk my shrooms and zoas shrank then melted. Maybe just me though.
I can try to lower some. I would love to keep zoas and shrooms but I just don't want to have issues with everything else trying to chase numbers when everything else looks great

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't have a phosphate tester. 40g breeder and alk and calc are Hanna and all other tests are red sea

First thing to do is get a quality phosphate test. Next, I would consider new lights. Those are very weak lights. Do you see the corals stretching at all ?

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alk too high. Ive noticed when i ran my display at 10.5-11 alk my shrooms and zoas shrank then melted. Maybe just me though.

Alk should be irrelevant to soft corals plus that is where I keep my alk with no issues.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Millsaps2378

Millsaps2378

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What shroomies/mushroom do you have, I may be able to help in regards to these :)
I've only tried a few different kinds of zoas. stratocasters, watermelon, eagle eyes, snitches, and a couple others with no luck. After a few weeks they slowly shrink then shrivel away...I've only been able to keep one colony(about 20 polyps) of zoas alive for about 3.5 months but haven't seen really any growth. Mushrooms i have typically only tried different variants of yuma mushrooms and they also do pretty well for a few weeks then slowly shrink and let go of the rocks they are on. I have tried them in different locations around the tank to see if i can find a spot they like but the same thing typically happens no matter where i put them. They are typically always in a med/low flow and med/low lighting area

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 27 15.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 101 57.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.8%
Back