Hawaii fish ban

Debramb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, we can collect for consumption up to a certain amount and on certain species. I will say though, local fishing compared to commercial fishing have two very different effects on the environment, so if the studies performed were based on the findings from local catch and take then it's not really going to be accurate.
Jeez, I know I read about from one of the shark studies newsletters. I’m trying to find it. It was pretty detailed.

JayM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From what I understand, the ban was lifted around January of this year. Yellow Tangs are one of 8 species that can be collected - if you have the proper permits. The problem is that Department of Land and Natural Resources hasn’t issued any permits.

Debramb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From what I understand, the ban was lifted around January of this year. Yellow Tangs are one of 8 species that can be collected - if you have the proper permits. The problem is that Department of Land and Natural Resources hasn’t issued any permits.
I think permits are reasonable…..if they issue them☝️

litsoh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

From what I looked up a little while back we didn't need permits for personal use collection.

"No. You may collect aquatic life for your home aquarium without a license or permit, provided you use legal gear and methods. Small mesh throw nets are always prohibited. Regulations such as minimum size, season, bag limits, etc., still apply. Please be aware that any taking of aquarium fish or other aquatic life in the West Hawai‘i Regional Fishery Management Area is prohibited." Was what I got from the .gov website

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
@Kona Diver

Ban is not lifted nor were any changes made with collectors licenses. There is a local diver who I just summoned from the area

jimfish98

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where are you paying $300? They are nearly half the price at $165 in stock right now.
I am not paying it, that is just the retail price around here. I was just in two shops this last weekend and they were in stock with matching pricing. Site price is $165 but shipping hits for some folks. I am close enough I could get it for about $30 which isn't too bad, but the likely hood of it arriving alive with any time of day delivery option here in FL is not great. Sometimes we don't see UPS until 7pm and a fish in a hot tin box that late is never good. Best shipping is $132 for me which pretty much matches the store total.

buruskeee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where are you paying $300? They are nearly half the price at $165 in stock right now.
Yep, bought 3 for about $500 total after tax and shipping. People aren’t used to seeing yellows so young and tiny, they get scared off by the transparency. It only took 2 weeks for mine to get solid yellow. I’ve had them for just over a month now and they’re getting fat and about 2-2.5” each now getting super bright.

On top of that I feel their health is better being bred in captivity as they aren’t stressed from being taken out of the ocean and are accustomed to being fed retail foods. I also like that the profits from my purchase helps research to advance with the breeding - it’s a much sustainable and ethical way (it’s just super difficult with some fish - hence why research is so important).

nemotang2019

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look at the pics of my yellow tang from biota I got three months ago. You can clearly see the transparent color when I received him vs bright yellow today.
IMG_1180.jpeg
IMG_1179.jpeg IMG_1177.jpeg IMG_1176.jpeg IMG_1175.jpeg

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What does it mean to be ethical?
(According to Google)-

Ethical comes from the Greek ethos "moral character" and describes a person or behavior as right in the moral sense - truthful, fair, and honest. Sometimes the word is used for people who follow the moral standards of their profession.

One native hunts 6 fish each day to feed his family, while another sells 6 fish each day to the aquarium trade to feed his family?

Which native is more ethical?

On the mainland a business house’s brood stock to breed captive bred fishes. They lobbied the government of Hawaii to prevent the native from catching and selling the same fishes.

Well maybe they didn’t but the discussion of ethics and capturing wildlife isn’t as clear of an issue as it is often portrayed.

What would a wild-caught broodstock fish say if you asked it if it missed swimming in the ocean? (What is this crazy human being talking about?) :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing:

Those translucent tangs are amazing and I fear that they will be banned next, right after they get finished banning aquatic life from the wild sources. Cattle, pets, even breathing are optional if it’s an ethical choice that can be imposed upon others.

Joaquin Phoenix Reaction GIF

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The best that I can tell, is that HI courts have dismissed all litigation and that the Dept can issue permits but have not yet. HI House Bill was introduced for a permanent ban - it failed. No permits from the Dept yet. I have no idea what is actually happening now or the reason for any delay.

I saw a proposed white list with yearly catch limits for the top fish. 7 permits to be issued with limits for all seven collectors. I cannot find it right now.

I have a Hawaii Yellow tang that is older than a kid who is in college. If these Biota fish can make 10-20 years, then well done. I have been around freshwater too long to see what was thought to be a breakthrough in captive breeding die young, develop diseases, not breed, etc. To me, verdict is still out on Biota Yellows but I am hoping for the absolute best.

litsoh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's definitely still collection for personal use going on, I have a feeling that they're cracking down more on the ones that collect to sell. Cause there are a number of people that bring home specimens all the time.

Now corals on the other hand are a different story, I heard from my LFS that there was a guy that harvested corals from the beaches and got slapped with a fine of around $8k. All of his tanks were seized as well, even those that did not house any corals whatsoever.

nemotang2019

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sometimes I feel unethical to even have fish in my tank when they could be swimming in the ocean. A new fish at a store was swimming in the ocean like a week or two weeks ago just hanging out and chilling, and all of sudden he’s caught and now it’s in a tiny tank at a store. Sometimes I feel sad

Solasis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look at the pics of my yellow tang from biota I got three months ago. You can clearly see the transparent color when I received him vs bright yellow today.
IMG_1180.jpeg
IMG_1179.jpeg IMG_1177.jpeg IMG_1176.jpeg IMG_1175.jpeg
They look great! I think some members of the reefing community just don't understand what a juvenile fish is and how they change. In this case, the biota yellow tangs are translucent for a grand total of 1-2 weeks before they are bright yellow in a reef. Maybe that is too long for some, but I think it is beautiful to watch them grow!

Solasis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not paying it, that is just the retail price around here. I was just in two shops this last weekend and they were in stock with matching pricing. Site price is $165 but shipping hits for some folks. I am close enough I could get it for about $30 which isn't too bad, but the likely hood of it arriving alive with any time of day delivery option here in FL is not great. Sometimes we don't see UPS until 7pm and a fish in a hot tin box that late is never good. Best shipping is $132 for me which pretty much matches the store total.
I'm confused on your shipping statement. Are you selecting the wrong service? You might be selecting next day air early which is not correct. Its just next day air. For me that is $55 in Arizona, much further than Florida from well Florida

albano

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Flame angels are still around, but more expensive since they aren't really transported through Hawaii anymore.
Are you sure that they can’t be transported thru Hawaii anymore?
Most of the flame angels seen in the US are from Christmas Island and Marshall Islands… IMO, few people (east of LA) have seen or kept a true Hawaiian Flame.

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Captive bred is nice, but $300 for something not much larger than a quarter is a bit much for folks. Until pricing drops I think most of us are happy with our alternative Tangs.

Yellow tang is 165 US. Fun fact. You get to enjoy the fish longer by watching it mature over time. Most captive bred and raised fish will reach size within a year. At least in my experience with the ones I own.

Funny thing about the ban. The hobby is still going strong with it in place outside a few fish that are 100% not available by other means be it region or captive bred or raised. The price is always the complaint first.

Not knocking hobbyist when they complain about prices but one has to put it into perspective. There very well could be more restrictions on us one day...then what.

To quote Rachael and Deckard:

Rachael - Do you like our owl?
Deckard - is it artificial?
Rachael - Of course it is
Deckard - Must be expensive
Rachael - Very...

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 30 21.4%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 1.4%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 102 72.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.3%
Back