Hawaiian Reef Fish

Zaky Own

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I wanted to surprise my dad with a fish tank that is all set up. He has gone to Hawaii on his honeymoon and so I wanted to make an Hawaiian fish tank. It is about 200 gallons and has a large rock protruding 40cm out of the tank which is full of water. Now I'm thinking what fish could I put in there? I want fish he would've seen because he is going scuba diving a few times. I've heard there are triggerfish but they aren't reef safe I don't think. I've heard that tangs live there and Zebra Eels are reef safe aren't they? I've heard they are Hawaiian. Sorry for dragging this on but thanks x

OP
OP
Z

Zaky Own

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok. So what about a pair of them wrasses, a group of yellow tang, a pair of emperor angelfish and I was thinking of sectioning off about 20 gallons of the tank to dedicate to seahorses. Oh yea and that zebra eel

OP
OP
Z

Zaky Own

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh found out I can't get flame as they jump and my tsnk doesn't have a lid

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok. So what about a pair of them wrasses, a group of yellow tang, a pair of emperor angelfish and I was thinking of sectioning off about 20 gallons of the tank to dedicate to seahorses. Oh yea and that zebra eel

Seahorses need to be kept at much lower temps to keep them from getting bacterial infections and such. They also need low flow and excellent water parameters. I wouldn't suggest adding those to the "messy" aggressive fish tank even if they are sectioned off. There are others much more versed in the care of seahorses that can elaborate for you if you wish to learn more. @vlangel & @SeahorseKeeper are the ones to talk to about the ponies.

steve&mari

Blessed Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Totally agree seahorses wouldn't be a good mix because of needs for proper care. Screen tops are easy to make to keep fish safe.

SeahorseKeeper

Where's the mysis?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would also forego seahorses. Most seahorses would need at least 30 gallons for a pair. They also will thrive much better in a tank dedicated to them.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do not try a pair of emperor angels. This will be a blood bath.

Half of Hawaii fish are easy to keep (yellow tangs, flame wrasse, Humu trigger, orange shoulder tang, kole tang, naso tang, unicorn tang, Sailfin tang, green bird wrasse, striped squirrel fish, pink tail trigger, arceye hawkish, raccoon butterfly)

And the other half are borderline impossible for all but the experts (potters angel, Achilles tang, red coris wrasse, Hawaiian cleaner wrasse, moorish idol, longnose butterfly are pretty tough too)

OK some fish are on the fence - emperor angel, true Hawaiian flame angel, pyramid and saddle butterflies, convict tang, bandit angel, heniochus butterfly, etc.

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Potter's wrasse are common in Hawaii but are probably not a good choice for the inexperienced. Pyramid butterflies have been very hardy for me if you can get a healthy specimen. Racoon's are beautiful but I don't think they're reef safe? Are Emperor angels native to Hawaii? We didn't see any when diving on the Big Island.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Potter's wrasse are common in Hawaii but are probably not a good choice for the inexperienced. Pyramid butterflies have been very hardy for me if you can get a healthy specimen. Racoon's are beautiful but I don't think they're reef safe? Are Emperor angels native to Hawaii? We didn't see any when diving on the Big Island.

I agree on all counts.

Emperor Angels I believe are native. Not exclusively. I could be wrong. Maybe near one island.

3dees

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
two or three heniochus ( from Hawaii) would look great. they are reef safe and will play well together.

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 13 14.4%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 39 43.3%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 34 37.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.3%
Back