Hawkfish and Dottyback

Erik the Red

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone,

I’m finally heading to my LFS today for getting 2 fish for my Waterbox 35.2 (23G display, 33G system)

I would like to get a longnose (or Falco) hawkfish and an orchid dottyback. Do you think they can get along in the tank? They Will be the only inhabitants of the tank.

laverda

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think they would get along normaly, but your tank is to small for either, as they are both active fish. Not good choices for a 20 gallon tank.

laverda

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Both are better choices. Actually there are a whole lot of options for nano tanks. Many gobies are a good choice. Neon, Rainford’s, Trimma, Clown, and Catalina gobies, are just a few that come to mind. There are many more. You could also do a shrimp gobie & pistol shrimp paring. Smaller pipe fish would also work. Some blennies like a scooter blenny would also work.

Use the small size of your tank to your advantage. House fish that you would never see in a larger tank as they get lost. Depending on your choices you could have many more then two fish in 23 gallons. For example, a pair of Dracula shrimp gobies and a pair of pistol shrimp, 2 neon gobies, 2 Catalina gobies, 2 Bluestripe pipe fish, 2 clown gobies & 2 trimma gobies would make for a very active and interesting tank. Many of these fish are available captive bred which is a big plus in my book. They should not need to be quarantined if not exposed to other fish at you LFS. Many will also spawn in a small tank like yours. Just research each animal to learn their full grown size, habits and food requirements. Scooter blennies and pipe fish require copepods in a steady supply, so may not be a good choice if your not willing to add pods as needed.

OP
OP
Erik the Red

Erik the Red

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for your long post. In the end I got a pair of ocellaris clownfish, given also the fact that my tank is bar bottom.

You posted a lot of cool alternatives, but the problem here in DK is that there are not that many LFS selling saltwater fishes and the ones online are low on stock due to the pandemic (I suppose).

However, it’s exciting to own a sw tank after that many years. Next week I should receive a few corals from Germany: a toadstool, a plexaurella sp. and a ricordea.

I’ll update the tank journal next week, so that i can post a few pictures as well.

thank you for your time :)

have a nice weekend

O.T.
Is your nickname inspired by the legendary italian motorbike Laverda?

laverda

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could still add a couple of the fish I mentioned with your clowns, just not as many of course. Enjoy your new fish and tank.
You are the first to ask about my profile name. You are correct, I was the largest Laverda dealer in the USA for a few years. Not that that is saying a lot.

OP
OP
Erik the Red

Erik the Red

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you, I will do! Now that there’s some life in the tank I have the patience to wait for the right specimen that could fit in.

Great bikes! My dad used to tell me when in the 70es one of his friend invited him for a long ride on the highway. Its been his first and only time...at 120mph with no helmet. Great bikes in any case, they must worth a fortune now!

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 24 21.8%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 80 72.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.6%
Back