Healthy clam?

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi clam experts, what do you think about this hippopus? It's hard to tell if these clams are in good shape or not from just a photo. My last derasa may have been in steady decline by the time I received him.

ORA Aquacultured Hippopus
ORAAquaculturedHippopusClam-_75_1dbe963a-b4b9-4c35-84cd-b1aa96bc4f6e.png

Photo obviously heavily doctored. But does anyone see from the shell if this specimen is in decent shape?

@minus9 you and any other clam experts you know have an opinion?

Hippopus are obviously on the rarer side, so I'm interested in moving on it if it's a good bet. Would love to see it in person, but that doesn't seem possible.

Thanks!

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
very difficult to tell since it’s closed. maybe they can provide another picture? did you try messaging aquaSD?

OP
OP
JoJosReef

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
very difficult to tell since it’s closed. maybe they can provide another picture? did you try messaging aquaSD?
I called them. They said they can send some photos to email, so I plan to follow up on it tonight.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is a Hippopus clam. I never keep them but I would worry that there is no new growth.
Mantle of this clam does not extended over the edge of the shell

OP
OP
JoJosReef

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is a Hippopus clam. I never keep them but I would worry that there is no new growth.
Mantle of this clam does not extended over the edge of the shell
Thanks @OrionN ! Yes, they are a different sort of clam aren't they? But I still think they are interesting and beautiful.

With these website photos being doctored up, hard to tell how the shell looks isn't it? I'd be hesitant to get another clam without seeing some shell growth on it.

OP
OP
JoJosReef

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do think they are slow grower but the healthy ones I see have a slight white edge to their shells.
I asked for some photos from the shop with side and top views that we can inspect. We'll see if they can get back to me in time before they get sold.

mbaird

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually received one of these Friday. They aren't kidding about the size, it is tiny. That being said, other than no white shell around the edge mine seems healthy enough. Closes if messed with but otherwise is open a normal amount and not gaping.

OP
OP
JoJosReef

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually received one of these Friday. They aren't kidding about the size, it is tiny. That being said, other than no white shell around the edge mine seems healthy enough. Closes if messed with but otherwise is open a normal amount and not gaping.
From AquaSD or Algaebarn? I see Algaebarn has them right now (2"), but $75 instead of $50 and more shipping cost. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

dansyr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got one from aquasd yesterday. there are more than listed online currently, they were kind enough to let us go inside and check out the hippos before packaging up. So far healthy and great pattern, but it's just been one night for me so far. will post photos in a sec

dansyr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
all iphone unedited, ~6500K led. darker one is top down, also unedited just darker from zooming the iphone.

very last one is my wife's DSLR dramatic DLSR shot, don't ask me about settings, she's the photographer not me

IMG_6720.jpg IMG_6728.jpg IMG_6724.jpg 1707705881539.jpeg

dansyr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How big are they?
I would guess about 1.5" ± 0.25? There were some variance in the other ones, they had one, possibly the one pictured, that was more elongated. For context the wide side of this hippo is resting on a black frag plug just underneath the sand, the diameter of frag plug is just less than the width of the clam. Can take a finger-for-scale photo if that's useful

dansyr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There were some ones with different patterns, @minus9 and I got probably the most highly patterned ones that we could see but there were definitely some interesting ones left there, plenty of others with this kind of light blue / mauve dots

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 35 16.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 6.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 28 13.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 122 57.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 14 6.6%
Back