Healthy Reef?

Campbell Bradley

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys
Just wanted to try check with a few more experienced people in the community as to whether or not my tank Is going on the right track.
It's a used red sea reefer 170 and has been up and running for about 4 or 5 months maybe, we spent about a month cycling with no livestock. We then added hermits and clowns and continued from there. So far we have
2x darwins clowns
1x scooter blenny
1x Allen's sandsifting goby
1x fire fish
4x hermits
6x glass shrimp
As well as some euphyllia, zoas and a goniopora.
I just wanted to check with people based on the looks of the tank to make sure I'm going on the right track. Any tips will be put into good use and would be greatly appreciated
Thanks everyone.

20230615_175856.jpg IMG-20230610-WA0001.jpg 20230620_162707.jpg

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys
Just wanted to try check with a few more experienced people in the community as to whether or not my tank Is going on the right track.
It's a used red sea reefer 170 and has been up and running for about 4 or 5 months maybe, we spent about a month cycling with no livestock. We then added hermits and clowns and continued from there. So far we have
2x darwins clowns
1x scooter blenny
1x fire fish
4x hermits
6x glass shrimp
I just wanted to check with people based on the looks of the tank to make sure I'm going on the right track. Any tips will be put into good use and would be greatly appreciated
Thanks everyone.

What are you feeding the shrimp and crabs?

OP
OP
Campbell Bradley

Campbell Bradley

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are you feeding the shrimp and crabs?
Currently they'll just scavenge whatever I feed the fish or corals. But a lot of them are just surviving off algae on the rocks at the moment. But other wise pellets or frozen brine and mysis.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Invest in some cleanup crew: trochus/turbos for the glass, nassarius/cerith/conches for the sand bed, spiny astrea/ring cowries for the rocks and a few blue leg hermit crabs for scavenging duty. You don't have to add everything at once, but slowly building up your cleanup crew will pay dividends in the long run.

OP
OP
Campbell Bradley

Campbell Bradley

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Invest in some cleanup crew: trochus/turbos for the glass, nassarius/cerith/conches for the sand bed, spiny astrea/ring cowries for the rocks and a few blue leg hermit crabs for scavenging duty. You don't have to add everything at once, but slowly building up your cleanup crew will pay dividends in the long run.
I think my scavenging is all good at the moment because the shrimps are absolutely crazy. I'm planning on getting a valentini puffer soon for the tank and what I'll do is add snails into the tank with that so he can wear down his beak and I'll just top them up monthly.

NoohpyT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think my scavenging is all good at the moment because the shrimps are absolutely crazy. I'm planning on getting a valentini puffer soon for the tank and what I'll do is add snails into the tank with that so he can wear down his beak and I'll just top them up monthly.
Do you plan on having any SPS? Valentini Puffers have mixed results if they'll eat/nip on corals

OP
OP
Campbell Bradley

Campbell Bradley

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you plan on having any SPS? Valentini Puffers have mixed results if they'll eat/nip on corals
No, I'm planning on doing a mostly lps or euphyllia tank. Maybe I will at some point but I don't think I have the experience to add them any time soon

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Currently they'll just scavenge whatever I feed the fish or corals. But a lot of them are just surviving off algae on the rocks at the moment. But other wise pellets or frozen brine and mysis.
I feel the hobby underestimates how much food these creatures need to eat to thrive, snails especially. As a consequence there could be a high death rate for some species.

OP
OP
Campbell Bradley

Campbell Bradley

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel the hobby underestimates how much food these creatures need to eat to thrive, snails especially. As a consequence there could be a high death rate for some species.
Yeah they certainly are always eating something. So far I've had no death and massive growth. With one hermit being absolutely huge and our first set of eggs in with the shrimp. I started off with trying to spot feed them when algae wasn't growing.

Gumbies R Us

Certified Noob
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys
2x darwins clowns
1x scooter blenny
1x fire fish
4x hermits
6x glass shrimp
Thanks everyone.

Tank looks like it is doing well!

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 27.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 32 36.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 25 28.7%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 5.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%
Back