Heater creeping higher and higher

Calm Blue Ocean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an Eheim Jager heater that has been giving me trouble. Just when I think I have it dialed it it creeps up again. I've been turning this thing down and down. Five degrees, ten degrees, and suddenly it's on again.

Fortunately I'm in the process of shutting this tank down so I'm just trying to keep things somewhat steady for a few more days. So two questions: Any remedy to the apparent faulty thermostat in the heater? Any recommendations to keep my tank from fluctuating too much until I can get everyone moved? The only spare heater I have is my QT heater which is way too small for the tank. I tried contacting Eheim but received no reply.

Filipart

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Doesn't sound like you have many options.
Here's how I see it:
1) Cheapest: put QT heater into bigger tank in the morning in the highest flow area you can find and monitor temperature every two hours. Over 18 hours youll at least know where the temperature is to know whether you can go to sleep without buying a new heater.
2) Follow temperature in tank every 30 minutes and continue to use current heater, unplugging it as needed
3) Remove heater and either heat or cool home to desired tank temperature.
4) Buy a new heater.

Last edited:

bblumberg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If only a few days and the temperature creep is not large, then I'd not worry about it. Ebo Jaeger heaters were outstanding, but since Eheim swallowed them up, less so (although I am a big fan of Eheim pumps and filters). If you ever set up this or another tank again, I'd consider using an external heater controller like an Inkbird or Ranco to control the heater and the internal thermostat just as a backup. It is always a good idea to have a spare heater or two laying around.

If the fluctuation is larger, say more than a couple of degrees, then I agree that using your quarantine tank heater as a stopgap will be the best approach.

OP
OP
Calm Blue Ocean

Calm Blue Ocean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Doesn't sound like you have many options.
Here's how I see it:
1) Cheapest: put QT heater into bigger tank in the morning in the highest flow area you can find and monitor temperature every two hours. Over 18 hours youll at least know where the temperature is to know whether you can go to sleep without buying a new heater.
2) Follow temperature in tank every 30 minutes and continue to use current heater, unplugging it as needed
3) Remove heater and either heat home to desired tank temperature.
4) Buy a new heater.

I laughed at the part about sleeping. No kidding I jumped up in the middle of the night remembering that I'd turned the darn thing off so I could flip it back on, then back up at the crack of dawn to turn it back off again. Wonder if I close the door to the room and close the AC vents if it might moderate the temperature of the room enough without torturing the rest of the household lol. Unfortunately I'm hours from any store that might have a replacement heater. The QT heater is worth a shot. Thanks for the detailed reply.

OP
OP
Calm Blue Ocean

Calm Blue Ocean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you ever set up this or another tank again, I'd consider using an external heater controller like an Inkbird or Ranco to control the heater and the internal thermostat just as a backup. It is always a good idea to have a spare heater or two laying around.

My new tank is set up with a controller. Best decision ever! Definitely my bad on this heater since it was the backup and went in the tank when the previous heater quit working. Poor decision to not get a new backup right away.

OP
OP
Calm Blue Ocean

Calm Blue Ocean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just thought I'd leave an update. I took the advice here and went with my QT heater. I admit I'd completely written it off as an answer since it's only 50-watt but it worked! Kept things going until yesterday when I was able to finally drain the tank and move fish and corals to their new locations. Way to go 50-watt Aqueon!

Set it and forget it: Do you change your aquascape as your corals grow?

• I regularly change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 18 11.0%
  • I occasionally change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 44 27.0%
  • I rarely change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 78 47.9%
  • I never change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 20 12.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back