Heater malfunction

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad to see you sorted it out, but as already said, let the temperature fall back down as you did, In summer my smaller tank is regularly up to 86-87f without any ill effects, not desirable of course but for short periods no issue.

My large system has a chiller so that’s more constant

Anyway, glad to hear it all worked out.

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also split the wattage into two heaters and have them both on some kind of backup control just in case. I use my controller to control my two heaters but the heaters themselves have thermostats that I have set to 3 degrees above the setting on the controller. Also each heater is on it's own output on the controller. The reason for two heaters is that if one does get stuck on it will take longer to raise the temp and it will not get as high. Also if one quits you will still have some heat instead of none. If you get a InkBird or something similar use the thermostats on the heaters as your backup.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Well they made it through the night, tank is back to 80 degrees they seem normal I will leave the light off for today
There you go. Acclimate new fish well and you are on your way !!

OP
OP
E

Elrond

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There you go. Acclimate new fish well and you are on your way !!
Anybody ever cared for a juvenile Picasso before? I was wondering if freeze dried shrimp and krill a long with pellets is alright to start or if I should be doing fresh seafood right away

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Anybody ever cared for a juvenile Picasso before? I was wondering if freeze dried shrimp and krill a long with pellets is alright to start or if I should be doing fresh seafood right away
Yes it will be and it is rare they dont turn away food. Freeze dried will float so it may not go for it right away.
If small, you may have to cut up the krill

OP
OP
E

Elrond

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes it will be and it is rare they dont turn away food. Freeze dried will float so it may not go for it right away.
If small, you may have to cut up the krill
Ok yeah he will be small about 2-3 inches, I'm pretty excited to see how he interacts with my clowns hopefully there won't be any issues

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Ok yeah he will be small about 2-3 inches, I'm pretty excited to see how he interacts with my clowns hopefully there won't be any issues
He's coming in after clowns have been there and should go well

OP
OP
E

Elrond

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He's coming in after clowns have been there and should go well
I have a fluval f6 on one end of the tank and a fluval 110 hob on the other end, should I also get a protein skimmer to increase ox in the water and for surface cleaning or is that unnecessary? I was looking at a hob octopus rated for 120g

OP
OP
E

Elrond

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a fluval f6 on one end of the tank and a fluval 110 hob on the other end, should I also get a protein skimmer to increase ox in the water and for surface cleaning or is that unnecessary? I was looking at a hob octopus rated for 120g
Also if it's something anyone has setup before if I upgrade to a 3 or 4 hundred gallon tank what kind of filtration would something like that need? I've never set up a sump before, would any other kind of filtration system work besides that?

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
if those are your filters, you will have to clean them regularly or you will have nitrate and phosphate issue. With two canisters. Clean and repack if necessary one of them. Two weeks, do the other. Alternate thereafter one three weeks and the other 3 weeks later to stay ahead of levels. If readings are good (hopefully with reliable test kits)- you can extend those maintenance periods.
As for skimmer, IceCap K1-100 or K2-100 are hang on units and will perform very well (like a full size skimmer)

OP
OP
E

Elrond

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if those are your filters, you will have to clean them regularly or you will have nitrate and phosphate issue. With two canisters. Clean and repack if necessary one of them. Two weeks, do the other. Alternate thereafter one three weeks and the other 3 weeks later to stay ahead of levels. If readings are good (hopefully with reliable test kits)- you can extend those maintenance periods.
As for skimmer, IceCap K1-100 or K2-100 are hang on units and will perform very well (like a full size skimmer)
That is kinda how I was doing it, but more frequently than that, I wish I had known how to set up a sump I just haven't had any experience with them before and I have with other types of filtration mostly for cicalid tanks

OP
OP
E

Elrond

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is kinda how I was doing it, but more frequently than that, I wish I had known how to set up a sump I just haven't had any experience with them before and I have with other types of filtration mostly for cicalid tanks
If I'm going to get into much larger tanks it seems like I'm gonna have to learn

OP
OP
E

Elrond

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my trigger arrived, beautiful fish but showed up in water that was maybe 50 degrees, not moving belly up in the bag I immediately floated the bag in my tank after about 10 min his fins started moving a little I moved the bag in such a way that water flowed over his gills, he snapped out of it and started swimming I waited another 20 mins before drip assimilating him and releasing him into the tank he's hiding under some live rock now tank lights are off. I'm furious that this company shipped him this way I gave to them an earful on the phone just now, is there much hope for him to make it?

OP
OP
E

Elrond

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my trigger arrived, beautiful fish but showed up in water that was maybe 50 degrees, not moving belly up in the bag I immediately floated the bag in my tank after about 10 min his fins started moving a little I moved the bag in such a way that water flowed over his gills, he snapped out of it and started swimming I waited another 20 mins before drip assimilating him and releasing him into the tank he's hiding under some live rock now tank lights are off. I'm furious that this company shipped him this way I gave to them an earful on the phone just now, is there much hope for him to make it?
He's not looking good

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
He's not looking good
Lower lights and add airstone if you dont have one in there already.
Cold water lowers metablism but Ive seen them like this from shipments at my LFS and next day very perky. Unless there were no heat packs in the box, the shipper may not be to blame but the carrier such as UPS who leave these boxes on the ramp until aircraft loading , then placed in a cold truck to your local transfer point then in cold UPS truck until they get to your house
This time of the year if youre not far from their facility, arrange online for station pickup where they open at 8:30a and you get your box early and out of the cold.

OP
OP
E

Elrond

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you watch this and tell me what you think of how he's acting? I've never seen one of these before outside of YouTube. I'm getting an air stone

Back