Heater Trouble Help

ZachariahBeanz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey, I’ve got a marine land heater, and I’ve set it in my tank. I’ve set the temp on the thermometer to 78°f and I checked the temp today and it was at 86°f? Do you know why this is, and how to fix it?
PS..my tank is 20 gallons

esquare

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have found that a lot of heaters, especially the cheaper ones, do not have accurate temp scales on them and need to be checked against a reliable thermometer. Some have adjustable scales that will let you change the reading to match your tank thermometer. Just adjust the temp until your tank thermometer reads the number you are shooting for and then leave it.

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20gal, Id set my heater for 72F and see what gives…
If I give no other advice it’s that it’s better cool than warm/hot …
nothing in any tank dies above 70F, but a lot will above 86F

esquare

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just looked up the heater you mention and it looks like it has a thermometer on the front. Just keep adjusting the temp dial until the thermometer reads what you want. Any scale that is associated with the temp dial I normally assume is incorrect. As Doctorgori said, starting at a lower temp and then adjusting from there is probably safer. It will take a while for the adjustments to show up in the tank.

PharmrJohn

The Dude
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey, I’ve got a marine land heater, and I’ve set it in my tank. I’ve set the temp on the thermometer to 78°f and I checked the temp today and it was at 86°f? Do you know why this is, and how to fix it?
PS..my tank is 20 gallons
Yep. This is quite common. As stated, just find the temp setting that gives you the desired result. Also, realize that heaters go bad quite often. Consider what the lifespan of that particular heater is and replace it BEFORE it is due to fail. With whatever I'll choose for mine, I'll replace it out when it is about 75% done with its expected lifespan. It really is a cheap part of the entire equation that can, upon failure, yield catastrophic results.

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep. This is quite common. As stated, just find the temp setting that gives you the desired result. Also, realize that heaters go bad quite often. Consider what the lifespan of that particular heater is and replace it BEFORE it is due to fail. With whatever I'll choose for mine, I'll replace it out when it is about 75% done with its expected lifespan. It really is a cheap part of the entire equation that can, upon failure, yield catastrophic results.
Exactly ….I’ve never lost a tank to cheap light, but I have lost an entire. tank to heater fails … personally I rarely use them, but when I do it’s “usually” titanium with a controller

PharmrJohn

The Dude
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Exactly ….I’ve never lost a tank to cheap light, but I have lost an entire. tank to heater fails … personally I rarely use them, but when I do it’s “usually” titanium with a controller

And that's the route I'm taking. Probably a BRS titanium with Inkbird. Another plus with titanium bodies is that it acts as a groundprobe. It's really a two-fer.

Stuck to your aquarium: Do you put reef-related stickers on or around your reef system?

• I have reef-related stickers everywhere!

Votes: 5 5.1%
  • I have some reef-related stickers on or around my reef system.

Votes: 23 23.5%
  • I have some reef-related stickers, but not on my reef system.

Votes: 21 21.4%
  • I don’t have reef-related stickers, but I am interested in getting some.

Votes: 12 12.2%
  • I have no interest in reef-related stickers.

Votes: 35 35.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.0%
Back