Hello from Fife Scotland

Floyd_UK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Evening to you all,

Was going to start this by saying that I am a long time lurker, however I feel the true definition would be a long time learner. R2R is my go to place for knowledge. This is probably one of the most respectful forums that I have registered with. The knowledge available is amazing and some of the tanks and build just leave me more inspired with each visit, you make it look all so easy.

So a little about myself.

Started off with a Kent 94 Litre all in one. I now call this the nitrate factory! Having set it up as per the instructions I was continually fighting with the tank and decided to upgrade to a new larger tank.

Sadly I went cheap. I bought a TMC Signature 900 and have spent the last Two years trying to resolve the constant gurgling with the threat of overflowing with each powering down of the pumps. I dont know why TMC thought that a single outflow would be sufficient, but as the say buy cheap pay twice!

This tank was meant to be a replacement for the Kent, but my wife liked the temporary placement in the kitchen so I now have both tanks setup. (I wasn't going to argue)

During the lock down I have invested into both tanks. The Kent has had a new Tunze 9004 skimmer installed. All the media areas are now running empty with a Hydra Pure internal filter installed. The lights have been replaced by a TMC coral 1500 tile, which now means that the tank runs near silent due to no fans. However I had to nuke the tank due to a never ending fight with Aiptasia. Ihad never noticed the mother ship lurching in the dark inaccessible recesses of the back panel! So still going through the uglies, currently looking a quite a load of red Cyno

The TMC 900 has had new lights installed as the tiles where loosing LEDs on a weekly basis, so these have been upgraded to a pair of TMC reef photons. Also had to replace the skimmer which was an AC model and failed dramatically one evening (glad I didn't have my hands in the water) So now only have DC in the tank apart from an upgraded titanium heater and controller.

I had promised my wife that I would hold back from any further investments in the tanks, however I had started conversations that I should upgrade the tank after a small over-spill from the TMC 900.

That was until a D-D Reef 900 complete setup with equipment and livestock was advertised for £1000.

You guessed it, I bought it! (I have a very understanding wife)

So now I have 3 tanks with the promise that the TMC will go. This is now housing a large amount of live rock, softies, anemones and quite an array of fish.

I have spent the last week cleaning the tank and resealing the back panels, however most of the equipment that came with it is not as good as my existing stuff, so will be handy backups.

Will probably have a few questions in the coming weeks , certainly as to how to transfer from one tank to the other whilst aquascaping with rock that is already populated.

I can not thank you all enough for the knowledge that you have imparted on me, and look forward to being a more active member of the forum.

Wishing you all the best

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!!!

Clownfish.gif

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 44 29.3%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.3%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 41 27.3%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 52 34.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 5.3%
Back